View Single Post
Old January 30th 2013, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogara_ZO View Post
That is a nice setup. Are you happy with the balance? I'm planning to go with 944 NA rotors + sliding calipers on the back, not sure if it will work ok. Will keep the discs (20mm thick) so if any upgrade is reuired I have limited possibilites.
The TarOx/GTi/914 setup works well - pulls it up sharp when old folks pull out from side turnings while I have i'm giving it a bootful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1303C2/3 View Post
I see you ve been running on K-jet injection for a while. I always wondered how the golf gti Kjet unit would perform on an 1.7 to 1.8 L aircooled engine. Would you mind sharing details of your K-jet setup.
The K-jet engine was my first foray into injection. If i recall correctly i bought a complete setup off a 1600 Mk1 GTi. Manifold was from a '78 injection Beetle. I machined the top off the plenum, welded on a plate, and fitted the throttle body off an 1800 GTi, so twin progressive and big rather than the stock Beetle small throttle body. I had to weld a new linkage on the other side of the throttle body, and mounted the cold start injector between the throttle body and the alternator. K-Jet injectors went in where the original electronic injectors went, clamped in place with some modified valve spring retainers. Metering head bolted to the fanhousing and some home-made ducting linked it to the throttle body. Cold start injector was controlled manually from a dash switch.

Engine was 1679cc (thick wall), stock sized valves but a gentle porting job, 9.5:1 compression, Engle 120, counterweighted crank, 9-pound flywheel.

The injection system worked brilliantly from day1. Loads of power, but good fuel consumption on the daily trek to work. I never measured the power but I took it to the GTi festival at Avon Park Raceway in '94 and whooped the standard GTi's on the 1/4mile. It would top out at an easy 110mph on the 4.375 gearbox.

There were only a couple of problems: The standard Beetle injection manifold ends flowed well to a point then hit a wall, so the power was good until it maxed out on the flow and then just wouldn't go any further; Also the Engle 120 had perhaps too much overlap so the pulses back up the inlet tract upset the K-jet flap at idle making the idle a little bit rough. I managed to play a bit with some damping in the plenum and improved it a bit, but then decided that actually the idle wasn't that bad really.

I put it together in late '93, installed it New-years eve, and took it out for its first test drive in the Snow. I immediatly got pulled by the Police wondering why i was out going fast and sideways in the snow on new-years eve, so they assumed i had been drinking. I was let off when i showed them the engine and promised to slow down. I ran it for a while in the Jeans before it moved onto another engine, then I sold it in 2001, and it turned up last October on a 1776 with Engle120 on eBay. The guy selling it had been running it for 4 years having purchased the whole engine from the guy I sold it to. It was still working well exactly as I built it.
'02 Passat Sport Diseasel Estate ("Das Boot")
'05 Seat Leon FR, chipped (Mrs Moog's toy really...)