Thread: Ceramic brakes!
View Single Post
Old March 12th 2008, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
While it's true that these don't work well for track applications on the cars they come on, on a light car like the bug I suspect there won't be issues with too much thermal breakdown.
Exactly! Not everybody sees the whole picture or so it seems.
Quote:
A lot of guys do take them off after suffering issues due to track usage, maybe that IS why they were available,
True again; their loss, my opportunity as I saw it
Quote:
but they should be overkill for the bug.
How can less unsprung weight be ever 'overkill'?
As stated earlier, I just used the (smaller) rear ones on the front, so the brake action in that respect is not likely to be overkill either...
Quote:
What pads are you going to end up using? Are there specific ceramic pads that need to be used?

Jason
No, as far as I could trace down, there are certain Pagid types that they come with as stock, but those are used on steel disks too. A softer than stock pad for the PCCB type 1 is usually recommended to enhance disk life for the type1 PCCB disks. There is a special tad bit softer race Pagid pad for this as well, but they are very expensive too. That leaves your very spot-on remark about the (huge) difference in weight, so I'll try another OEM (but very affordable) stock pad for these to see how it goes. I can always buy the expensive pads later if these don't work well for whatever reason. At least the disks are now good for another 300.000 km