Thread: Ceramic brakes!
View Single Post
Old May 7th 2008, 17:53

Recently I was finally able to drive a few hundreds meters round the block with the 'new' engine and also tried out the ceramic brakes.
Unfortunately, one disk probably had been flaked too much and/or turned down too little. Anyways, the new pads were eaten alive by that disk. I have never seen so much brake dust in all my life: even the fender was covered with brake pad dust!
Within a few blocks, the pad of one side of one disk was totally gone. What looked like a smooth disk was now a rough landscape again. Too bad, as the other disk was perfectly fine and so were the pads. Even though I proved you can machine these disks, too much flaking will not be possible to remedy totally. For this one bad disk even I feel more machining is not safe anymore, so the project will end here
Well, if you never try s/th new, you will always get the old same results.

Anyways, to be able to go to meetings this summer, I looked and found a steel replacements: Its 330x28 and comes from the rear of a 996 turbo/ C4S or 997S or turbo.
The ones I found are from a very recent 2007 997S and basically only need the caliper to be adjusted for heigth, which is very doable.
New pads (Texstar) arrived today, so the bug will be able run again this weekend