View Single Post
Old March 16th 2024, 19:23

My car's all had torsion rear and ball joint front's, but I'll add some thoughts on the rear. I used 23.5's on the rear of a beetle (with stock front leaves) with Bilstein shocks. It was very balanced but it would get down to the bump stops when I worked it hard. It was interesting to me that the gas Billy's felt very stiff and uncompliant, my feeling is the gas pressure added to the spring rate, but as I say, the car did balance.
On my KG I went to 28mm rears with Koni reds, dialed up full hard. this was a good balance to the swayaway 15% uprated leaves in the front, but I think what I was doing was just making the car very stiff, I also had a 22mm front roll bar and 27mm rear, but again it balanced well. I thought the Koni's were terrific at controlling the 28mm bars, smooth and predictable. I did not hit the bump stops with this set up ;-)
Fast forward, now I have a Mendeola front end which is closer to your Super bug ie. the camber changes with compression, so I have gone to 26 mm rear torsions and a 22 rear sway bar to try to soften all the suspension and make it more compliant now I have rising rate camber on all 4 wheels. My last decision is shocks. I have been doing a lot of reading about shocks, general thoughts out 'there' are Gaz can be harsh, and after my Billy's, that is not what i want, so I'm leaning towards Protech or Spax and getting them custom valved. I will be very interested in what you decide.
One other think to consider is how offset your wheels are as all extra offset adds leaverage to your torsions, sway bars and shocks so more offset needs more bar and shock. I have been looking at various 944 'recipes' as their weight in the rear is not much different from us (of course the front is a completely different story) my new set up is 8" 77ET on the rear so very different to a typical 8" Fuch at 23.3ET . Good luck

Last edited by ian godfrey; March 16th 2024 at 19:32.