View Single Post
Old March 16th 2024, 20:36

I appreciate the reply and the things to think about.

So I think I'll do well for myself to, at least, give my set up a try. Since my car is not on the road yet, I tend to start second guessing myself with set ups.

I love Koni shocks and they worked well for autocross GTI I had years ago. But, man, those Koni reps really don't want to have their feet held to the fire for anything slightly off the beaten path. My current coilovers were made from 944 struts. I had Mk1 Golf inserts sitting on 1.25 inch spacers, but I really prefer having inserts made for the housings. All I did was ask the Koni rep if the inserts would work ok with my lighter 125 lbs/in springs, when 944s have either 140 or 160 lbs springs (when researching the spring rate of factory 944 springs, I found both values, and wasn't sure which was accurate). Logic tells me, even if a 944 has 160 lbs/in springs, the inserts would have no issue with 125 lbs/in springs. It would be like sporty valving. I mean, I'm only talking about a 35 lbs difference, and only 15 lbs if the 944 springs are 140. I mean, my helper springs are 25 lbs/in. The rep was unwilling to even say it would likely be OK.

I currently have Boge/Sachs meant for a 944. That is another brand I used in my GTI. I used to seem to go through them pretty quickly...like maybe 1.5-2 years of life. But then, I never took into consideration the GTI was lowered with stiffer H&R springs.

Anyway, I'll stay the course for now. I just wanted to make sure what I thought was a reasonable set up wasn't actually bat sh*t crazy.

H2OSB