View Single Post
Old May 24th 2009, 17:50

Angry Oh no ... car-B-que

A bit of crappy news ... coming back from the Waterdown car show / swap meet this afternoon, I had a bit of a car-B-que in the 67 I just got. Looks like the fuel line tube that is supposed to be pressed in to the carb casting came loose. Car died out, I pulled in to a driveway, and a person in a car that was passing by was yelling that I had flames back there as I was getting out to take a look. I should have had an extinguisher with me, but didn't. Luckily some people driving by stopped, and had a jug of water that was enough to douse the flames. The sweatshirt I tried to use didn't do too much.

So the paint is burned off the engine lid and vent panel above that, and blistered on the quarter panel a bit. Underhood I think it was mostly the tarboard insulation on the firewall that burned, the wiring and hoses on the one side where it was flaming up don't look too bad.

I'll have to call the insurance company tomorrow, hopefully it's not too much if a hassle, since I just called them on Friday to get the coverage on the car. It is a classic car policy with Lant, and I've been with them for about 10 years with no claims. Then I just have to figure out who to get to do the repair work once the insurance gives the OK. The paint work isn't a big deal, there are a few shops in town that we deal with who will do good work, I just don't know about the mechanical and wiring stuff ... nobody really close by for that. Any recommendations for a good shop that is closest to Caledon? Anyone know about that shop in Glen Williams that works on VDubs? For now I had CAA tow the car up to the dealership. Guess I will be making some phone calls tomorrow. Kind of a bummer way to end a good weekend.

cheers
Ed N.