View Single Post
Old February 25th 2014, 05:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I had the same thoughts about the rear bumper and filled the box up with construction foam and rounded it off a little.
It also stiffened up my GRP bumper a bot.
You have no idea how many people asked me at shows why I had my bumper filled with yellow foam LOL!
LOL LOL, Yes, this would be a good thing as the last thing a Beetle needs is more rear wheel loadings, either from aero loads or adding weight, the problem is only ever the front and this is where the gains are to be had and all the work is required, i know Walter has a splitter so he's seen the need, in a word, understeer is predominate on powerful beetles, even the s/a cup cars suffered with just 100 hp, also front corner weights are very high on the list of must have sorted things, this is so you can stop the thing without locking wheels, not important for a 'looker' but dont go near a circuit unless the above is addressed, or you will just wonder how the quick guys
go so deep into the turns, i would concentrate on the front, then get it road tested to see whets needed, a sleeper is preferable to any heavily reworked looker, they are lighter for a start, so can turn and brake quicker, i cant get photos up just now to show where im at with no more than a flat bottom, lots of work, and already ive run into more understeer, meaning the rear is working harder than without the underpanels, it will morph and turn into a diffusor proper eventualy, but a, it dont need it yet, and b, it can be ripped off or damaged after hours of work and cash,, and all these add ons make the car a bitch to work on, i have stuff to do at the front and that includes a splitter unfortunately, as i want to keep all stock looking as much as possible, but the rod is gridding up near the front row now days, so really needs add ons at the front, and possibly wider front tyres.. all good fun.