GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 2nd 2005, 19:07

bleeding my brakes...

i am trying to bleed the brakes on my '74 super and i am new to the VW world and am still awaiting my manual in the mail...can anyone lead me to somewhere online i might be able to get step by step directions or if someone is willing to type out directions i would appreciate it...any help is good thanks
Old January 2nd 2005, 21:06

Pretty easy. Here goes:

1. Locate the bleeder screw on each of your brake drums/caliper. It should be the funny looking one on top of the backing plate (drums) or on the top side of the caliper (disc). Figure out what size box end wrench it takes to turn it. (Use the right size, don't round this one off!) Also get a small piece of hose that will slip over the nipple, but leave you access to the screw.

2. Get a new, full bottle of brake fluid (probably DOT 3, depending on whether or not anyone has ever put in silcone brake fluid). Open it and get it ready to pour. Find a mason jar or some other small container and fill it about 2" with clean fluid.

3. Take the cap off of your master cylinder. Make sure it is full.

4. Have a helper pump up the brake pedal until it is rock hard. Starting at the back passenger side, put the end of the hose in the jar of fluid. Back off the bleeder screw until you see bubbles go into the fluid. It shouldn't take a large turn. Wait for it to stop bubbling or the helper's foot goes to the floor. Tighten the screw, and repeat until you have no more bubbles. Then move to the rear driver's side, then front passenger's side, then finally front driver's side.

5. It is important to keep the master cylinder full of fluid. If it happens to run out of fluid, you'll have to start all over.

P.S. You can also do this with a Mityvac or some other vacuum type pump. Works about as well as the old fashion method, but only requires one person.

Also, while the Bently is invaluable, you might get alot of good use out of the VW Haynes manual. They're about $15, available just about everywhere, and they have good general info like this.
VKG
Old January 8th 2005, 02:09

Good instructions rustbucket. Another tip for when the lines have a lot of air is to jack up each corner to help drive the air out. Sometimes it takes a few sessions of bleed, drive, bleed to get that pedal solid.

Speed Bleeds are handy too.
Old February 28th 2005, 04:42

check your brake adjustment and make sure they are adjusted properly...and make sure your e-brake is off.....these caused some big headaches for me...

Dean Harryman
Grants Pass, Oregon
1964 VW Bug "Reismeuchelmrder"
Dean_Harryman@hotmail.com
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/632917