GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 6th 2005, 19:32

Urethane - Where to get it online?

Greetings,

I recently purchased some early 944 aluminum rear control arms and an 18mm sway bar (still awaiting the package, but its coming babe...) and I was looking around the web for Urethane bushings for these pieces without much luck.

If anyone who can point me in the right direction for obtaining the bushings, it would be much appreciated. (in the US or Canada would be great, overseas shipping costs suck)

I got some urethane bushings from Energy Suspension for my 72 Super Vert a while ago, but they don't list the 944 on their web site.

Thanks,

Doug
Old February 7th 2005, 04:16

Did you already look around the Toplineparts website?

Greetings,
Walter
Old February 7th 2005, 08:22

the trailing arms will use a stock bug bushing. that should be available most places. CIP1 has some (go under suspension-rear/bug - IRS/Urethane Bushings. free shipping most of the time too if you get over $50.

i assume the sway bar is 944. best guess on places for that would be PelicanParts.com, 944online.com, Automobile Atlanta, Vertex Auto.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old February 7th 2005, 11:58

Just a suggestion, if you can't find the graphite-impregnated black versions and are stuck with the pretty red ones, make sure you build in a way to lubricate them, as they will squeak like a stuck pig in time. Maybe some zirk fittings tapped into the end of the torsion bar end cap?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old February 7th 2005, 15:57

Zen,

I checked Pelicanparts and Automobile Atlanta which only appear to list OEM Rear Sway Bar Bushings. Vertex Auto only lists front sway bar bushings. Didn't see any bushings on 944online.

I did find some aluminum bushings online, but that's a bit overkill for what I'm after.

I believe Topline only deals with Super VW's and not 944's (I didn't see anything on the website)

I guess if worst comes to worst, I'll have to start calling around or just go with the stock bushings. I have a hard time believing that no one makes them though...

Good call on the grease fitting Jason. I had some of the red ones (still do) on my Super Vert and I lubed the heck out of them with Anti-seize when I installed them. I would think that you would want the graphite impregnated ones over the red ones, as getting grease into the sway bar / bushing end would be a bit of a pain unless you drilled a small hole that lined up with the grease zerk...

Thanks,

Doug
Old February 7th 2005, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie S
I believe Topline only deals with Super VW's and not 944's (I didn't see anything on the website)

Doug
Yeah, I know, but I thought as the 944 rear suspension is virtually the same as the 1303 rear...

Greetings,
Walter
Old February 8th 2005, 00:46

Wally,

Thanks to Zen, I now have another piece of the puzzle. I'll be giving Topline a call for the Urethane Rear Trailing Arm Bushings, but that still leaves me looking for the 18mm rear sway bar bushings.

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

Doug
Old February 8th 2005, 19:41

call Ian at 944online.com. he can get a lot of things he does list online. also, check with Lanner at VDubCustoms (forum sponsor so tell him you are coming to him because of this forum) and see if he might be interested in fabbing some. he did some rear shock bushings for me. i might be interested in a set myself. if he has an interest in fabbing some, but needs a minimum buy, use the group buy forum here to see if there are enough to go in.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old February 9th 2005, 15:41

Thanks Zen,

I still have to get my Brembos and CB spindles to Lanner so he can work his magic on the bearings for the front of my Ghia. Unfortunately, the brakes are still in transit and the spindles are still on the car.

It's just too dam cold out there to take them off right now. Heat in the garage is on the TO DO list for this spring!

I'll defiantly ask about getting a few sets fabbed up and let everyone know on a cost/set from him.

I kind of figured that not everyone lists ALL their products on the web and that I would have to call around just to confirm if the bushings were available.

Stay tuned for more info...

Doug
Old February 9th 2005, 18:00

I got my outer 944 torsion housing bushings through performance products, they are the grafite inpregnated ones and high density. They have all the trick Porsche parts like the hollow rear 944 sway bars and what not.

Nick
Old February 19th 2005, 20:47

Greetings,

Lanner responded to my email on the rear sway bar bushings. Here is an excerpt from the email...

"The 944 sway bar bushings are exactly like super beetle front sway bar bushings. So you can use the super beetle bushings for the stock arm. I think the stock SB sway bar is 18.5 or 19mm. A little trick I use is to wrap the bar with Teflon tape at the bushing. You can fit the bar exactly to the bushing and completely eliminate any chance of squeaking."

Apparently, the front SB bushings and rear 944 bushings are the same. I'm not in the position to test this outyet, but maybe one of you guys out there may be at this stage and can let us all know if it works.

Cheers,

Doug