GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 23rd 2007, 19:43

4 lug to 5 lug

I was thinking of having my drums redrilled for 5-205 or 5-112 but wsa told I wouldnt have any room on my drums to do so, and to get the drums that already come in that pattern, what moddifications are required to do so, Im just hoping I can just put the 5 lug drums on w/o changing anything major.5-112's have a good aftermarket in wheels and the 5-205, i just would want the Radar rims , would addapters be ok ?
Old April 24th 2007, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedub View Post
I was thinking of having my drums redrilled for 5-205 or 5-112 but wsa told I wouldnt have any room on my drums to do so, and to get the drums that already come in that pattern, what moddifications are required to do so
I would think drums in a 5x205 pattern would be available in the aftermarket ... but having never looked for them, I can't be all that sure.

The 5x112 pattern looks like a modern pattern (VW Passat amongst others) to me. If I am right, you would probably need blank drums custom studded.

One word of caution with modern bolt patterns: Make sure the hub size of the drum is compatible with the hub hole of the wheels you want. I had to make concessions with my front wheels when I chose a modern pattern for my disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedub View Post
would addapters be ok ?
The best quality adaptors will likely add to the amount of track you have on the front and on the back. Since you seemed concerned about modifications in your post, this could lead to some especially if you chose a wide wheel as well. These adaptors won't be cheap either. Even then, there will be those who will strongly recommend against it -- some in general, others in a racing application.

I am sure others with more experience will chime in.
Old April 24th 2007, 08:31

Well the rims I really like, reason I am interested in whats needed is I want 15inch Randars.THere 15x5's and they have a 3.5" backspace.The addapters I found were 1/2" thick and cost 55.00 a pair. I would more like to have the 5-205 drums, an there is a aftermarket with them but not sure if I can use my bearings and backing plate with them. I was told to get wide 5 drums for front, and rear brakes from a Type 3 or Thing.

Heres a link to the wheels
http://www2.cip1.com/PhotoGallery.as...7;2DC10%2D6657
Old April 24th 2007, 09:01

Man, those adaptors are either a very good price or less than desirable quality. I would be concerned. I would investigate the backing plate and whatever else might be at issue before I would consider the adaptor route. If you go with adaptors, I would be more concerned with quality of manufacture than just its thickness. That is one area not to be frugal. My opinion only.
Old April 24th 2007, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
Man, those adaptors are either a very good price or less than desirable quality. I would be concerned. I would investigate the backing plate and whatever else might be at issue before I would consider the adaptor route. If you go with adaptors, I would be more concerned with quality of manufacture than just its thickness. That is one area not to be frugal. My opinion only.
Im not sure about them either, the EMPI badge scares me
Any ideas of anyone else that may carry them, but a good quality, possibly?
Old April 24th 2007, 10:36

They would be custom made to your order.

Highly recommended are:

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/index2.htm

and

http://www.wheeladapter.com/

My personal experience is with the latter of the two.