GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 30th 2002, 09:59

Unhappy 78 and Fuel Injected, what do I do?

I have a 78 vert which I am in the process of restoring and modding.. I have a question that I would like some opinions on.. My vert has a stock 1600 with fuel injection and ACU.. As far as modding and being able to pass KIA's on the highway which way should I go.. I live in NJ so I am not to sure what DMV problems I will encounter..
My first inclination was to do a mild upgrade for reliability.. Change rocker arms, springs, retainers, valve guides, head redone- maybe ported ect.... while keeping original block..
second was to do a motor swap...and start out with some sort of turnkey.. 1.7,1.9 or 2.0 liter with dual carbs ect.. So Cal style engine.. maybe put a porche fan and shroud.. but this starting to get expensive..
Lastly, if possible forced induction for my stock block... I have seen some turbo kits for 1600..
I don't know to many shops in NJ, but if I can stroke or bore my F/I block to gain HP that would also work..
I don't know the limitations of the F/I system, except for that fact that I works off some sort of vaccum and that more air = more fuel and eventually more power, I hope..
I would like to swap out engine but then I don't know what problems I will encounter with my current wiring harness and auxillary emmission items such as charcoal canister, EGR stuff..
I would appreciate any help on the matter from anyone, my limited experience is with the B16A family of honda motors but since I was a younger lad I loved my old mans vw's (vans, type 3, bugs). Sure wish I paid more attention back then?