GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 16th 2003, 11:49

Fuel injection for the flat four.

I will be searching the internet for information on many kinds of fuel injection and I needed a place to list my findings. So here is where it starts.
There are many fuel injection setups out there. Most of the custom ones are quite expensive ($2,000+). Finding a workable solution for around $500 is my goal. Custom fabrication not included.
The VW diesel engines have a nice set up with a fuel distributer, pump, and throttle all in one. At present I don't know how they manage air flow sensing. The problem is they may not work with gas as the tolerances may be too wide due to diesel being a thicker liquid.
The purely mechanical fuel injections systems are very nice. Some have distributed outputs and some are constant flow (CIS) the Bosch Jetronic K.
There are also hybrid mechanical and electronic most of which were early developments and didn't work so well or maybe people didn't know how to make them work? The Bosch Jetronic KE.
The next development is the mostly electronic fuel injection. These have various stages of programability from swapping preprogramed chips to full laptop programing capability on the fly. LN Engineering comes to mind.
Several areas for research have come to my attendsion. How to determine the injector size and type? How to determine the throttle body size? Throtttle position sensors vs mass airflow sensors, vs flapper air flow sensors. How do you determine the air flow needs of you engine at a specific rpm and hp output?
All kinds of things. Anyway I will be posting interesting sites with information. Hope this is going to help.