GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 22nd 2009, 18:02

Super or Standard???

I'm kind of new to this forum and have surfed this site on and off over the last 3 years gathering excellent ideas for a GL type beetle I want to build.... but I'm still unsure on which way to go.

my future plans are to build a fast reliable beetle to moslty cruz around in but also be a contender in Solo type racing or at the local drag strip (11sec 1/4mile).

Drive train i want is a Subaru motor either a 2.5 SOHC or 2.0T DOHC (if i can afford it) and porsche 5spd trans and 944 brakes. (my interpretation of what I would have wanted in the new beelte.)

I anyone can give me some feed back on what they think is the best base beetle to start with (T1 standard, 1302, 1303) due to weight, susspenssion set up, availibility of parts....... i've always like the pre 67 T1 but can't seem to justify cutting up a vintage and the rad placement is a big question for me ( i don't want vents on the hood) . A couple of things I like about the newer 1303's are the vented front valance the thought of a custom modern interior (modern dash board) of the newer supers with the curved windsheild.

Are the newer supers any larger inside? i have three kids that will have to fit in the back once an a while.

I also have questions about radiator placement when going watercooled.. i have heard of people mounting the rad in the back of the car, when this is done are they sacraficeing the rear seat or is it just the lugage tray??

Cheers,