GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 19th 2010, 15:37

Floor pans: thick or cheap?

Hey guys,

I am about to purchase some floor pans for my 1303. I'm debating getting the Wolfsburg West pans or the cheap brazilian pans. The WW pans are 18 gauge and come with separate braces and seat mounts for cheaper shipping. The brazilian are easy to find, 22 gauge... well thats it.

I was thinking of using the 71-72 pans because they don't have the seat hump and since I'm not going to be using stock seats I can weld my own rails on there. Seems like most agree they will fit in a 74' and the only difference is the seat rails. Is this certain?

My main question is whether I should get the cheapo pans or the expensive pans. I plan on putting a 4 point roll cage in the car, so the added stiffness of the thick pans would probably be negligible. This is what my local shops recommend, probably because they stock the cheapo's. But I can save 200+ bucks by getting the cheap pans, and put that into a nice roll cage.

What do you think, cheap or expensive?

Also, are most of you making your roll cages or buying pre bent tubing? I love the heigo cage but its a bit... ahem... out of my price range. I don't really want to spend 700 for the Ron Lummus cage.

LETS GET SOME RESPONSES SO I CAN ORDER THIS STUFF AND GET MY BUG GOING!!! Thanks!