GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 30th 2002, 00:14

price for early 944 rear set up

I found a couple of 944 rear brake setups, trailing arms and out, does $700 Canadian sound a little steep for this? How much have the rest of you paid for yours?
Old September 5th 2002, 10:52

That is more than double what I would pay in US$. Don't bite.
Old September 28th 2002, 01:19

There is a guy in Vancouver selling complete turbo rears with trailing arms for 650. I feel this is a good price, I have been searching for months for the deals, the problem is there are not that many great ones to be had.
I bought a turbo set out of Texas for 300 US for the fronts, And just got the rears, less the calipers for 200 (at least I willl be able to move it , the search is on for calipers know).

Our dollar really sucks when it comes to buying parts. When my ship comes in, or if our dollar smartens up I really want a Jake Raby 2270:goodness: take care Darren
Old September 28th 2002, 02:49

I think 650$ Cdn is a very good price for a complete rear Turbo setup if it is in working condition.
I paid for my Turbo trailing arms 350$ Cdn I think....I have them now for a while...maybe it was 300$. Anyways......get them from the Staes and then you have to worry about shipping, customs...etc. Pickup is so much easier and you see what you get.
Old September 28th 2002, 09:09
Administrator

I got the complete 944 backing plates and ebrake assemblies for my stock beetle arms from a place called Whaletailcanada.com in Newmarket Ontario. With new ebrake shoes I paid $320 taxes in.

There is also a Porsche breaker in Winnipeg...can't remember the name off hand but I did a search on PelicanParts.com BBS for canadian porsche parts and the name came up. apparently they have very good prices from what was posted.

Good Luck !

Sandeep
Old September 28th 2002, 11:35

Amazing, this whole thread is from Canada, except Steve from Idaho, how many more crazy Canadians are on this site?
Back on the brakes again, I feel if you can get a complete set of Porsche brakes for under 1000, that is way better than any after market "kits" that are ou there. Man the calipers are so small on some of those kits, and the rotors? But I quess they have there place in the VW world.

What do you guys think about rims, I really like the Hockenheims 17" , but do you think I should stick with a Porsche rim?

Thanks for the input Darren from Calgary.
Old September 28th 2002, 12:55

If you buy Porsche brakes you have to get 5x130 bolt pattern rims which is only for Porsche. That is the only reason why Porsche brakes might not be preferred. If you buy kits you have the choice of bolt pattern which could mean a bigger selection on rims.
The Kerscher setup is very good.

Alex
Old September 28th 2002, 23:17

I paid 800 cdn for an entire 1983 944. My dad towed it up from califorinia for me. The only problem was the car didn't have papers and I wasn't able to get it across the border. Luckily my dad had some land on a indian reservation which was 30 minutes from my house, in washignton and i was able to slowly bring parts across the line. I didn't pay one penny of duty. I took the wheels, brakes, seats, suspension parts and some other goodies.