GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old February 1st 2005, 15:09

Trans ID

I recently recieved a transmission out of a mid 70's 914 so I am told. I was also told that it is a 901 trans. I have been doing searches on these to find out as much as I can and it really dosn't look like the ones I have seen on the threads. The ID # is 914.301.302.00: I am trying to figure out if this is suitable for my 1303. I tried to upload some pics and it says they are too large to load as a file, so if you need pics email me and I will gladly send them. Any help would be great. Thanks oh knowledgable ones.

Dustin
Old February 2nd 2005, 09:25

I was told that it is a sideshift trans yesterday. Does this mean that my dreams of five speed glory are over with this trans. He told me that I could use a dune buggy style shifer.?.?. Can someone explain what he is talking about. Is it worth my time and money to continue with this trans or should I sell this one and find another?

Dustin
Old February 3rd 2005, 05:20

As you know that trans is for a mid engine application. Turning it around would require flipping the Ring gear to the other side. Does it look possible?
The VW shift rod is at the front of the trans, using a side shift trans is a waste of time given that you can simply use a 911 gearbox that has the shift linkage at the front of the trans, right near where it needs to be for the VW.
Any mod is possible, buy why spend tens of hours and hundreds of $ when a better trans already exists for the swap?