GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old January 13th 2006, 15:48

cv confusion

hi there , i am running a t1 gearbox with standard cv,s at the box and stub axle , i have done a 996 rear brake conversion on early steel na944 arms , do i only have to change the stubshaft cv joint to a type 2 and use the original drive shaft , or are there other parts to buy, i intend to do the conversion in about a week so any info so i can order the parts will be much appreciated

cheers jon
zx7rr
Old January 14th 2006, 14:37

My understanding is that the bolt pattern on the type2 stub axles are the same as the 944 and the type2 or 944 CV joints will fit the original axles.
The other difference other than the bolt pattern is strenght as the t2/944 are larger.
That would suggest you could keep the standard beetle axles at the box end and t2/944 on the outer ends. But why would you put a weak link in the drive train.
Therefore it makes sense to put the type2 stub axles in the box.

I've got this setup and am going to buy my cv joints on monday. I've checked the part numbers at gsfcarparts.com and the t2/944 cv's are the same but the price for the porsche parts are 25% more, I'm going to have alook at them side by side.
Old January 14th 2006, 18:33

Let me see if I can help.

Unless I'm wrong, the simplest soloution would be to use your old sub axle and keep T-1 cv's.

The next would be using a T-2 size stub axle. Then you'd have to change the 'Output Flanges' on your gear box to ones that are T-2 size. (Either aftermarket or Thing output flanges) Then I believe you'll have to get differant axles. A Sway-away free floating axle, since the T-2 cv's are wider than the T-1.

I've read about this but I'm not that far into my project yet.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old February 13th 2006, 17:02

Hi

i am having the same problems please advise or is there all ready some news on this topic?

Rogier
Old February 14th 2006, 04:36

I don't understand peoples' problems here. You don't need to change the outboard stub axle to change brakes, only if you want to upgrade to the bigger CVs. People have used the complete, stock, 944 axles and CVs before with no problems.

Rich
Old February 14th 2006, 16:41

It's probably about time I replied on this too.

The 944 axles are different lengths , although one of them is close to the Beetle axle lenght. I was going to keep the Beetle ones but the spined ends are not long enough. So it's either type 2 axles or another 944 thats needed. Any view?

As for CV joints they are the same between the 944 and type2, except in cost and parts supplied. German & Swedish here in the uk charge £38 for the porsche part and £31 for the type2, not that bad but when you realise that the type 2 part comes with grease and boot and bolts included and they are the same part. I feel sorry for 944 owners. G&S are not even hiding it, the part numbers are the same but one has a P on the front!

Supa Ninja posted this last year that I then found.
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/Ho...joints_101.htm

R

Last edited by 65Cabby; February 18th 2006 at 12:35.