GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 29th 2010, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
The only application a Pauter cased engine would make sense imho is on the drag strip in a blown application above 750hp.the torque he gets with his 3,1 ltr can easily be matched or exceeded with a type 4.
Don Pauter has been responding to questions about the road worthy-ness of his 3ltr KG on a couple of US forums for years, if you search you'll find it's been regularly driven on the street since 05'. Since being built as a rolling test bed he also often lets his friends and family members take it just to rack up the milage, I've been along myself on a numberous trips where refueling was needed for the return home, regular unleaded btw. True while in it's current state it's power may be matched by a well engineered type 4 but how easily, reliablly or cost effectively would be questionable, neither could be considered an entry level program. Seems to me someone with enough knowledge of a large 3ltr+ displaced air cooled engine program would certainly recognize the advantages of a readily available, over the counter roller cammed, flanged cranked, Detroit bearing based engine block.