Old March 16th 2011, 04:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
The 3.6 Liter has a 102mm bore.
Oh dear...

3.6 ltr aircooled 911 has 100mm bore, 3.8ltr had 102mm bore

elementary, my dear Watson! LOL.
Old March 16th 2011, 11:13

Oh..ok I must have seen the oversize piston then.I thought it had the same bore as the 3.8 - my bad. Right you are Mr. Holmes
Old March 17th 2011, 17:04

The cylinders

I saw the cylinders today, man looks nice. I sure better get some air over them, they have 21 fins. I sure need to make sure the 11 blade fan is up to it.

Last edited by effvee; June 14th 2013 at 22:46.
Old March 20th 2011, 03:52

Skirt of the Cylinder

Hi everyone, question, at the bottom of the Cylinder where it goes into the spigot. I have noted some cylinders having a machining out a dish like shape. What is the removal of metal for? These are not my cylinder that I am having made, but very close to them. My fins will have the same diameter the entire lenght.

Last edited by effvee; June 14th 2013 at 22:46.
Old March 25th 2011, 23:24

My Cylinders

Hi, well the machinst finished them. I told him to only machine one of the four cylinder with the clearence for number 3 cylinder, well he did all four the same way

these are for my 88 stroke engine

see the machining at the spigot end? is this madatory?
I will have Costa Mesa R&D finish hone to spec's i'll select a 12Ra and cyro treat them before I send them to U.S. Chrome.
See the botom of the cylinder, should'nt I have a cutout for the counter weight to pass by?

Last edited by effvee; March 25th 2011 at 23:53.
Old March 26th 2011, 03:54

Nice! I don't think a cut-out is neccesary when the spigot depth in the case is equal or less then that part of the cylinder.
AFAIK, the spigots are normally there for a little smoother internal case breathing when the piston comes down.

What alu type did you end up with?

Last edited by Wally; March 26th 2011 at 04:10.
Old March 26th 2011, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Nice! I don't think a cut-out is neccesary when the spigot depth in the case is equal or less then that part of the cylinder.
AFAIK, the spigots are normally there for a little smoother internal case breathing when the piston comes down.

Extruded 6061 T-6 certified. Walter, finding 4032 ect was not possible, the 700 series and 2000 series will not take the coating. I asked and asked, and then I went to LN site and someone had 200,000.00 mile on LN early version of cylinder. If I remember correctly LN did use 6061 at first. Hay no one was able to tell me of a better on hand Aluminum. If it holds it shape, I'm sure the Nikisal will do its part. Walter I'm not sure if I'm going to use your shroud or just make some runners from my 11 blade directly to each of the cylinders. I plan to have my machinst friend make me some tubes for each of the cylinder and create opening for the runner air from the 11 blade and larger exits on the bottom, and be done with it.

Last edited by effvee; March 26th 2011 at 11:43.
Old March 26th 2011, 20:21

Just had to see how they look

Hi, well I went to my storage unit today. I just had to see how the cylinders looked moked up. I could get use to seeing that coming together, and it being my

I thought that only the #3 cylinder would need the releif cutout, but by my fins being the same diamter all the way down; it would seem that the #2 cylinder releif was a good thing there to

Old March 27th 2011, 13:04

They look great Francelle! Excellent machining and design! I´m really anxiuos to see how they will hold up! Good Luck and keep us posted!
Old March 28th 2011, 16:38
Administrator

Nice looking jugs. Never thought I would say that to a guy.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 28th 2011, 23:02

Red face wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
Nice looking jugs. Never thought I would say that to a guy.
Ha,ha, and ha
Old March 28th 2011, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Hay Walter, I've been thinking; since I have two set of heads. I think I'll try your shroud, I also have two 11 blade fans and fan rings. Walter may I ask you to look back on you days when you were developing that shroud. What area do you think could stand any kind of attention? I noted the area around the head and spark plug area you were addressing. The sheet metal when it arrived was loose. Does it simply need re-securing? Was there any alt air deflector on the alt for better air direction? Any suggestion?
Old March 29th 2011, 03:44

Yeah, of course, resecuring sounds very logical to do ;-) I used an original porsche deflector on the 11-blade but on your shroud I used an original 12-blade fan housing as you may remember. The 12-blade fans housings have much more internal vanes, so no extra sheet metal vanes were used with the 12-blade fan set-up. The original black plastic ring to cover the alternator on the back of the 12-blade fan set-up was also used.
Look sgreat so far. Good luck!