GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old July 27th 2006, 08:35

That is indeed awful news. I hope your situation gets resolved or at least partially resolved.
Old July 27th 2006, 14:46

Did you bring the car to the shop as a customer or is a "friend" doing the paint for you? It sounds like thier bad. Good luck let us know..JR
Old July 27th 2006, 15:55

A friend was doing the painting for me. He feels so horrible. It was his fault. He left her outside all night because he had "more important" cars to keep inside. I dont know what the hell to do about this. I had basic insurance on her and when she was all finished I was going to register her as a "collectible" and have theft added to her. Now I get nothing unless I get her back somehow. I guess it pays to have friends all over the place. I have a couple friends in the local police department and they're checking into it. I have a bad bad feeling about this though. Her paint was stipped so she could be any color now!
Thanks for all the comments and sympathy. I'll keep you all posted.
Old July 27th 2006, 20:39

Really sad news. IMO this was the dumbest thing to do(regarding your friend)... leaving a stripped car outside (from colour that is...). Hope things take a big turn towards the other way, and you will be with her again and we can see her evolving in your hands...

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old July 30th 2006, 01:19

Update:
I got a call from the Pennsylvania State Police today saying they found my car! So I called my dad and told him to go check it out. I don't live in PA (yet) but my family does and I kept the car up there so she could be garaged and I know alot of people up there who were willing to do alot of the work I wanted done really cheap because they are friends of the family, including the doofus who's fault it is that shes gone. Let me just say this. Whatever trooper it was that was "found" my car is an idiot! It wasnt her! He found a stripped beetle wherever, at this point I dont care where because it wasnt mine. My dad went and looked and said it wasnt even a '77! Friggin' idiots! I got all excited and the man who the car did belong to was PISSED! He didnt have the proper documentation to prove it was his car and the stupid trooper didnt even bother to check the VIN! I think he may have gone to the Barney Fife policemans academy. Whatever...I called him up and ripped him a new one and told him the next time he calls me to tell me he "found my car" he better make sure it's MY CAR!!
Ugh...I know it's only been a few days but I've already lost hope. She's probably out of the state by now. I wouldnt be suprised if she was hundreds of miles away already
Old August 2nd 2006, 11:49

last update:

She's been found. Well, part of her anyway. Just her shell, minus everything you could remove from the inside and underside, was found this weekend in a field. So...It's back to the drawing board. I still haven't decided if Im going to keep her, or what's left of her, or just sell her and get a whole Beetle. Either way it will be a while before I have a whole bug again I don't have the time or money to run out and buy another one or rebuild the one I have.

Thanks for all the nice posts. I really appreciate it and when it doesnt hurt so much I'll be back to check out everyone else's Beetles.
Old August 2nd 2006, 17:55

That really stinks. It's sad to think those people are in our hobby. I'm glad to see you got something back. I wish it could have been more.

Please don't give up on having a vw. :agree:
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old August 2nd 2006, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow69
last update:

She's been found. Well, part of her anyway. Just her shell, minus everything you could remove from the inside and underside, was found this weekend in a field. So...It's back to the drawing board. I still haven't decided if Im going to keep her, or what's left of her, or just sell her and get a whole Beetle. Either way it will be a while before I have a whole bug again I don't have the time or money to run out and buy another one or rebuild the one I have.

Thanks for all the nice posts. I really appreciate it and when it doesn't hurt so much I'll be back to check out everyone else's Beetles.
That just flat out SUX! I'm sorry that it had to happen to you! If the tables were turned and that was my car....I doubt I would have the restraint that you are exhibiting. Nope! I'd be in jail and someone would "maybe" wash up on the bank of some river somewhere wrapped in a tarp with what was left of my car crammed in every orifice! They wouldn't need CSI either because I would carve my name and address in his forehead! Whoa!! Damn, I was living vicariously through you for a second and couldn't control my rage!
But seriously I feel like crap because this has happened to you! I know this car meant a lot to you. But PLEASE don't give up all together! Keep the shell. Northeastern rust-free VW parts are hard to find! Start over with a fresh pan and drive train. It doesn't have to be done over night. You can take your time and build a kick-butt GL looker with the changes YOU want to make. But I think I would invest in a LOJAC or some other fancy schmancy theft deterrent system. Now I'm not one to condone violence...OK excessive violence.....Well, when it comes to my car the gloves are off! You need one of these!!! Click on the link!
HOT car theft deterrent!
Old August 3rd 2006, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
That really stinks. It's sad to think those people are in our hobby. I'm glad to see you got something back. I wish it could have been more.

Please don't give up on having a vw. :agree:
I know! I saddens me to think people like that can even go anywhere near VWs! I think owning a VW, especially a Beetle, is like adopting a child; People should have to go through extensive interviewing and background checks before they can own one Serioulsy!
And thanks for the comment. I definitely will not EVER give up on owning another old Beetle...ever! I love them too much. They were a big part of my childhood and thats something not too many people want to forget, if it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccain529
That just flat out SUX! I'm sorry that it had to happen to you! If the tables were turned and that was my car....I doubt I would have the restraint that you are exhibiting. Nope! I'd be in jail and someone would "maybe" wash up on the bank of some river somewhere wrapped in a tarp with what was left of my car crammed in every orifice! They wouldn't need CSI either because I would carve my name and address in his forehead! Whoa!! Damn, I was living vicariously through you for a second and couldn't control my rage!
But seriously I feel like crap because this has happened to you! I know this car meant a lot to you. But PLEASE don't give up all together! Keep the shell. Northeastern rust-free VW parts are hard to find! Start over with a fresh pan and drive train. It doesn't have to be done over night. You can take your time and build a kick-butt GL looker with the changes YOU want to make. But I think I would invest in a LOJAC or some other fancy schmancy theft deterrent system. Now I'm not one to condone violence...OK excessive violence.....Well, when it comes to my car the gloves are off! You need one of these!!! Click on the link!
HOT car theft deterrent!
Thank you I needed that.
That one is almost as entertaining as the trunk monkey!
And I know what you're saying about keeping the shell...Im probably going to keep it but we'll see. Im going to need to do ALOT of work and I don't know if I can do it all on my own. Im sure I could get some help, but not the amount of help I'll need. My dad was all for tinkering with her but a full on rebuild was not on his agenda.

Last edited by Yellow69; August 3rd 2006 at 08:45.