GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old March 5th 2006, 00:45

Are those widened fiberglass fenders? If so, where did you get them?
Old March 5th 2006, 19:40

guards

guards are an aussie thing called "aero look" from vintage vw in sydney, they have a website but i cant remember it, checkout www.aussieveedubbers.com there should be a link for their site on there somewhere full set is something around $1000AUD last time i checked tho hope this helps
Old April 28th 2006, 07:41

Just an update-when I fitted the 2 doors,I couldn't get them to sit or close properly-tried everything except bringing in the hydraulic gear.Had to be careful not to damage the paint.Any how I gave up on them,and found another 2 from an Oval,but they had been modified for 1 piece windows(which I didn't want).I have pulled the hinges apart and bent them so the doors fit and close properly.Something must have moved during the sunroof fitting,because the originals fitted perfectly B4 it went to the body shop.I have sent the new doors away to be paint stripped and they are now ready to be picked up.Have also had the Auto away getting reconditioned and had the front clutch hub machined to take an extra disc,the convertor has been tweeked and the prssures have been raised.The trans is also finished,so I have to make a trip to pick it all up( 1,000kms round trip)While I have been waiting for it all,I have started my next car-a drag Beetle which I will make into a Ute style body.Have bought an Autocraft 2.6lt motor with Methanol injection and the Auto craft dry sump system.Have just finished making the exhaust for it-made it all sit on top of the motor because it won't need any cooling system and it won't get in the way of the 3 stage oil pump,ends up with a 3inch outlet.Just changing the throttle arms to something more simple than the originals-useing a Type3 pivot and made new rods like a Type3.Have started on the pan-will use a link pin pan and have cut the torsion tubes and centre spine from another just in front of the gear change,and will weld that on top of my pan- so will make the wheel base 4inches longer and raise the torsion bar tubes and trans up 2inches.Will post some pics when I start welding it all together.[IMG] [/IMG]
Old June 27th 2006, 21:11

Finally got the motor and trans back in and have driven it in the yard-feels very responsive.All the extra wiring needed for the auto is done-fitted a kickdown switch on the centre throttle pivot,wired the neutral start and reverse lights with a loom I run along side the interior brake pipe(looks neat and will be hidden under the carpet) I made an aluminium panel and fitted a starter button just behind the gear shifter.I modified a later short handbrake lever so I had some more room here.Pulled the shifter out again and took it apart-needed to bend the lever-when it was in Park,the lever was too far forward and hard to reach.Made it sit vertical in Park and it's good now.Drilled and tapped the 4 manifolds for small vacuun lines for the auto's modulator valve and run them into a common line.At this stage I am still using the Type1 CV's,will have to see how they handle the job.Still running with the Webers at the moment-just want to get it going and drive it B4 fitting the fuel injection.Have just bought myself a TIG welder,so may make everything again out of Aluminium.Have reset the rear suspension and lifted the front a little as well-I'm happy with it now.[IMG] [/IMG]
Old September 5th 2006, 00:21

Man this is truely a top 3 modfied VW i've seen. I love it, mixing all the modern with classic style.
keep it up
Old September 5th 2006, 08:52

the aero,s look great ,I noticed how you moved the pivot point in on the rear trailing arms what size wheels & tyres are you running it would also help with track.I,m looking at making a new trans mount for the 915 ,what rubber mount did you use the whole thing looks rock solid.
cheers malcolm
Old September 6th 2006, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56oval
the aero,s look great ,I noticed how you moved the pivot point in on the rear trailing arms what size wheels & tyres are you running it would also help with track.I,m looking at making a new trans mount for the 915 ,what rubber mount did you use the whole thing looks rock solid.
cheers malcolm
I think you'll find he has moved the framehorns out to make space for the auto trans, not moved the IRS mounts in..
Rich
Old September 7th 2006, 00:31

Yes-I moved the horns out 50mm(2 inches) each side to allow the auto to fit between them.I also cut the sides out of the horns and welded extra stiffeners inside each one.Also made a Kafer type brace to stiffen the whole back end up.I used front engine mounts from a V8 Chrysler for bellhousing mounts and Toyota 4 wheel drive spring shackle rubbers for the front mount.There are plenty of different rubber mounts to choose from.I have driven it down a dirt side lane here( about 500 metres) and the thing is just awesome.The only fault with the mounts I used is that they are too solid and I feel a lot of the harshness from the engine being transferred into the car.When the car is idling and I give the throttle a good boot-the whole body rocks sideways with the torque from motor.I have also used the Bus rear bar mounted solid to the body with the original rubber insulators between the motor and the bar.In hindsight,I should have used mounts from some 4 cylinder car.I have got the seats away at the moment getting done in black leather in the same style as my New Beetle.I have been far too busy with work to spend enough time to finally get it finished.Have got pissed off with the Webers trying to get a decent mixture reading at idle-so have pretty much decided to fuel inject it now.Have found some new locally made throttle bodies for a reasonable price.I have purchased a new 2 post car hoist for my shed-really clever-wait until the car is almost finished,then buy a hoist.I got sick off sliding around on my back under the car trying to refit everything.Will be useful for my next projects though.Also bought a new lathe to replace the one I had that came off Noah's Ark.[IMG][img=http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/487/lathe19pk.th.jpg][/IMG]Will post up some more pics soon when I have some more progress.

Last edited by nbturbo; September 7th 2006 at 00:37.
Old September 7th 2006, 12:11

WOW all i can say really,

y an automatic tranny?
Old September 7th 2006, 19:37

YNOT? Dare to try something different.
Old September 10th 2006, 13:42

good point im guessin its not a stock auto. how hard its it to prep a 30yr old auto for that much brake horse power?
Old September 11th 2006, 21:10

Sent the trans to a Bloke who does a lot for drag cars.I know he machined the front clutch hub to take more discs and the convertor has been tricked up.He also played with the pressure system.The weak links at this stage are the Beetle CV joints-will see how they stand up to the tourque and the trans has no take off ports to add an external oil cooler.
Old April 12th 2007, 06:33

Still in progress-seats are finally done-took over 6 months to get done.The rest of the car is finished-carpets/door trims/stereo system etc.Have started to fit the fuel injection.Using 2 x 48mm throttle bodies locally made and all the controls are Delco from a locally made 4 cyl car.Making new throttle rods and fuel rails.Done a fair bit to my drag car as well-finished welding the pan-ended up making it 100mm longer and 100mm lower.Cut out the rear floor pans and made a flat floor right thru.The roll cage is in and finished and I have cut the body ready to remove the rust and make the whole rear panel so it screws on.Will make the back ute panels out of thin aluminium and it will also just clip on.I have cut 70mm from the front beam and fitted 1 adjuster,but will probably weld in another to try and get it lower.Have got dropped spindles on it but can't get it down level with the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg injec6sm.jpg (43.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg aero15sm.jpg (44.7 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by nbturbo; April 12th 2007 at 07:08.
Old April 12th 2007, 06:53

some of my Drag Car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dc37sm.jpg (46.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg dc13sm.jpg (47.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg dc14sm.jpg (41.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg dc33sm.jpg (46.7 KB, 76 views)
Old April 12th 2007, 07:01

A couple more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dc35sm.jpg (45.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg dc36sm.jpg (44.0 KB, 75 views)