GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old March 11th 2008, 23:14

Roof mounted Beesting aerial

Hi

Boblebaard's car is my German Look pin up car, I often have his car as my desktop background. I love the look of the Beesting radio aerial on his car from a late model VW, but I was worried about future access to the aerial.

On the later VWs it's possible to pull the hood lining down to repair or service the aerial. That's not possible with an old bug, so I came up with the idea making a frame that will sit under the hood lining but will accept a standard Beetle interior light, so if I need to service or replace the aerial I will only need to remove to interior light to gain access to aerial securing nut.

My bracket, still needs some more welding, another job for when the body is off the pan and motor and trans are out of the way.

Steve

Last edited by Steve C; March 11th 2008 at 23:15. Reason: wrong photo
Old March 12th 2008, 01:46

Me likey, I've always had a soft spot for the beesting myself! Great idea, I might steal it someday if you don't mind!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old March 12th 2008, 08:20

Hi

Live to give, or share, I see so many inspiring things on here I thought that I would share. On my old 1302 the aerial was mounted on the front of the roof, I accessed the aerial nut from under the rear view mirror.

Steve

Steve
Old March 13th 2008, 06:06

Me to-very clever.And you can never see anything back there at night with the poor interior light.Where will you run the cable?Just under the hood lining or run it thru the upper body chanel where the early ones had their loom.I will also steal your idea for my next one.I can't believe that I didn't think of it-wanted to put the aerial there on my Oval,but couldn't figure out how to get it for repairs-well done.
Old March 13th 2008, 07:59

Hi

No worries, it just came to me out of the blue, I guess its one advantage of taking so long to finish a car build.

I will run the cables down past the stock interior light, that way should any cable fail, it can be pulled out while pulling a new one through

Have you seen the LED festoon bulbs for interior lights? They are great for when your getting old and need to read a street directory at night. I bought a good quality (read expensive) LED for my daily 1303, its fantastic, I bought cheap one for another car and its useless.

This is a link to the good LED interior light http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

Steve
Old March 13th 2008, 18:35

Yeah-know what you mean about getting old-and need glasses now to read anything with letters smaller than an inch.Haven't seen those globes-will get 1 to try-see they are not giving them away.Cheers.