GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old February 21st 2010, 20:46

Made some leaps and bounds, so to speak. I FINALLY got the rear radiator setup to work. With the fan on and idling in place, the car stays between 170º-180º. I got the trans cooler lines ran, tranny filled, and IT WORKS! So that's great news. Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jddQnaYaADo

I've also been working on finishing up my brake system. I took the rear drum brakes apart, sand blasted the parts, painted them, got a new hardware kit, and wheel cylinders. I have one side put back together. The hold up on the other side is the emergency cable is shot. The spring is no good. Seems like it got hung up while mudding.

Hopefully I'll get the brakes system setup and I can move it around under it's own power.
Old February 23rd 2010, 16:16

Not necessarily the most exciting update, but another thing checked off the TTD list.

Rebuilt the drum brakes. Sandblasted the small parts, installed new spring kit, wheel cylinders, and shoes. The drums were turned long ago by the guy I bought my frame from. Look at that mess the passenger side made.

Old February 23rd 2010, 22:03

Getting closer, can't wait to see this thing roll under it's own power
Old February 24th 2010, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
Getting closer, can't wait to see this thing roll under it's own power
Me too! I'll be soon. I'm pretty anxious to get to that point.
Old February 24th 2010, 11:41

Man, it was brought to my attention I put the shoes on backwards on the passenger rear wheel. Haha. Oh well, gotta redo it.

The other night I welded in my 5-point harness mounting tabs. They're 1/4" thick and I used the 6"x 6"x 1/8" plates supplied with my roll cage, that I didn't use because it's welded to the frame, to reinforce where I mounted them. Should be plenty strong considering the flooring is 14 gauge and everything is all welded into one another (body, flooring, cage, frame, etc.).

Old March 8th 2010, 12:22

Still pluggin' away! Got a few things accomplished this weekend.

Got the transmission tunnel and driveshaft tunnel made. I got some 18 gauge galvanized steel, cause that's all they had in 18 gauge, and a 3' section of 6" pipe. I needed something thin enough that I could bend on my own. I did take precautions to make sure I didn't get sick from welding galvanized steel. I had the garage wide open and a fan in front of my face the whole time. It also helped that it was windy out yesterday. So I cut out the steel using my patterns. For the driveshaft tunnel, I tacked the steel to the pipe and rolled the steel over it. For the tunnel, I just hand formed it over the pipe.

It can out really well. My pattern was a little off after doing some additional trimming cause the floor warped slightly from all the welding. So I had to make so relief cuts to the passenger side of the tunnel to get it to fit right. It's all fully welded up and very strong.

The car is a little cluttered inside at the moment cause I'm in the middle of hooking up my shifter. Just a few more things and the shifter will be finished.

I also got the throttle cable and pedal hooked up. It works very well, but as you can see, it's a tight fit.

The brakes are also hooked up and ready to rock! My brother came over after I got all new lines ran and hooked up, and we bled the system. It took forever to completely bleed the new system and to fix little leaks. The brake pedal is very firm and works great though. The rear brakes are stiffer than the front though. I got the pedal setup so the front brakes some in hard first, then the drums.

My only concern is the rear brakes line that goes to the master comes close to the exhaust manifold. Everything is so cramped in the engine bay with this S10 frame. I'll more than likely have to wrap the exhaust by the brake line.

Last but not least, I started working on the steering. I extended the shaft that goes to the steering box so the steering wheel will be closer to me and away from my knees. I just need to relocated the steering mount from the firewall to the dash bar and it'll be ready to rock.

Once the steering is done and the shifter is hooked up, all there is to do to drive her around the block is to run the gas line and to make a battery box! I hoping to have video up of the first drive this coming up weekend. Then I can finally move this thing out of the garage so I can clean up without having to need 3-4 people to push it back in. LOL!
Old March 15th 2010, 10:52

2 steps forward, one step back. Got some progress made this weekend. Not as much as I wanted to get accomplished due to a last minute gig that came up Friday, but progress nonetheless.

Got the steering hooked up. It turns with ease. Drill and tapped a 3x5x.1875 piece of steel to mount the column on. I had to make a bigger hole in the firewall for the rag joint to slide through. Now I need to make a cover that will bolt on so I can easily take it off when I need to remove the column.

I also ran the fuel line. I was ready for my first test drive, engine warmed up and ready to go. Car was running great and everything. Then I went to put it into gear and the car died. Fired it back up, put it into gear, died again. I upped the idle a little (1,000 rpm), put it into gear and it really bogged down. Turns out I was having carb problems. The carb was overflowing with fuel and fuel was just pouring into the carb. See video link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cmattdab.../0/vKclUKm4MCU

I'm not sure what went on? Maybe the floats need adjusting. I'm going to call Summit today and see what they say. It was running fine and then this just all of sudden happened.
Old March 19th 2010, 09:28

Took her out for the first test drive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Ct4LndyBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKK5sYU2pHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKUldF9XIyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKUldF9XIyk
Old March 19th 2010, 12:06

did not know you would be so cramped in the driver seat, Is that livable on long trips?
Old March 19th 2010, 14:17

Tall guy, small car, GM motor / trans up front = no foot / leg room. It's not as bad, too me, as it may seem. Road trips were never intended for this car. Just weekend car shows, some street play and some drag strip action.
Old March 19th 2010, 14:25

mite want to rethink the seat placement alittle
killer job dude
Old March 19th 2010, 14:55

Thanks! There's no where else for it to go but forward.
Old March 19th 2010, 21:34

ya ive had rides in two front v8 bugs they had the same problem they both mounted the seat back all most a foot further back then you.
it felt wrong looking out the back window riding down the road and looked funny.
yours looks much better even if its not comfy great work
Old March 26th 2010, 12:26

Been getting some things done to the bug. Finishing up sheet metal work so I can get into the body work stages so I can get this thing finished. Getting closer has me thinking again about the final look. I think I have my mind made up.

Hugger Orange and Gloss black. I decided to keep the trim chrome cause I have bits and pieces on the engine and interior that are chrome or polished aluminum. To address my breather issue, I decided I'll just get a carb scoop to poke out the hood. Alternator will be flipped up side down. I have to make a pulley to keep the belt from hitting the steering box. I'm thinking of using a black skateboard wheel and fabricating something to mount it on. Haha.

Old March 26th 2010, 17:31

That's wicked. That thing will be scary fast.
Awesome job.

Rob.