GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old June 16th 2008, 14:51

17'' EOS Rims

Guys,

Need some help with a great set of 2008 VW EOS Rims I can get for a real good price. They are 17x 7.5 ET47.

I have 2" narrowed front beam and CB 2 1/2" drop spindles and I would like to know if I need to use any spacers with this setup to make sure I get the proper fit.

Tried using the wheel offset calculator an reading other posts to figure this stuff out, but I am still confused. I am a newbie when it comes to working on beetles. I've only owned my beetle for 2 years.

Here is a picture of the rims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0wcc1311.JPG (30.8 KB, 16 views)
Old June 17th 2008, 08:28

First of all, I love the Eos rims.

Second of all, I don’t have any experience with standard Beetles. I presume yours is a 1968 model given your username.

The stock wheel until March 1972 was a 4Jx15et40 assuming what I found in my quick search is correct (4½Jx15et34 after that). That means the width of the rim is 4 inches, making its center 2 inches (50.8mm). Since the offset is 40mm, the backspacing – the distance from the inside edge of the rim to the mounting surface of the rim is a mere 10.8mm.

The Eos wheel is 7.5 inches wide making its center 3.75 inches (95.25mm). Its offset is 47mm making its backspacing 48.25mm.

Therefore, there is going to be 37.45mm greater difference (nearly an inch and a half) of the wheel protruding inward from the mounting surface.

I don’t know how much room there is to play with on a standard but it would be moot anyway as you have a narrowed beam. Here is where you have to get underneath and measure how much room you do have. (If you have non-stock wheels on your car now, you can do the same measuring but you must take the specifications of those wheels into account. I used what I found as being stock wheels.)

If, for example, you have stock wheels and can afford an extra inch with your set-up, you would need a half-inch spacer.

This only addresses inner fouling. It does not address any potential fouling issues you may have by lowering or on the outside of your fender.
Old June 18th 2008, 10:21

Your right, it's a 68 standard beetle.

BTW, Thanks for the info.

I looked under the car and it seems I have some room to play with. I was also thinking in going with wider fenders to make sure I didn't have any problems.

The only other concern I have is the lug pattern, which I belive is 5x112mm based on this page I found http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_h...8_vw_5x112.htm . I think this is non issue anyways since I can get blank rotors and drums redone with the correct pattern and add the spacers.

Is it cheaper to go with wheel adapters?
Old June 18th 2008, 11:12

Well, two things to consider ... and cheap may not be an option.

It would be better to go with restudding than with adaptors as a general rule. However, you must consider the hub and the hubhole. When I had Karmann Ghia disk brakes studded in a 5x100 pattern for my Super, I did not take this into account. Much to my surprise, the front brakes had a 72.3mm hub while my BBS wheels had a 57.1 mm hubhole. (Those figures are off the top of my head but if I'm off by a smidge, the effect I'm describing is still the same.) I needed to machine the inside of my front wheels to make it work.

The biggest problem with adaptors is for safety sake they should be hubcentric -- that is, the wheel should have a hub to deal with, not just the bolts. Getting hubcentric adaptors are not cheap and will need to be specially made. You may find these adaptors will need to offer more spacing than what you truly need -- but getting them to be hubcentric is important (in my opinion).
Old June 18th 2008, 12:27

I take it that if I wanted to go with Porsche rims, I would still have the same issue correct?

I definitely want to this right and not take any safety risks. Do you know what these adapters go for?
Old June 19th 2008, 08:26

You might have the same issues.

I mentioned Karmann Ghia based disk brakes. I had to do some adjusting here and there with machining front wheels, special spacers (yes, they were hubcentric), and rolling a fender (separate issue). In the end, I loved my brakes.

However, if I were going down the GL path again with another '71 Super, I would get Volkswagen disk brakes that were based on the Golf/Jetta IV through VDub Engineering. They are a sponsor here and Lanner is a top-drawer person.

So before you get psyched out of using the Eos wheels because of maybe's and other things to consider, give Lanner a call or write to him with your plans. Since you seem ready to go with widened fenders anyway, you may be well on your way of having less issues than what I had.

A 5x112 pattern is not all that unusual even if the Eos is a fairly new platform for VW. The solution may be a very easy one and the concerns I have laid out may be moot. Some obstacles have easy solutions; some are more difficult; and some aren't worth the pain.

Investigate each one thoroughly. Just because I don't want anyone to go through the trials I did, doesn't mean those trials are necessarily on your horizon.

Oh, and I should be able to find the source I used for the spacers. That company and another one came highly recommended. They make adaptors, too. Let's see if it is necessary first.

Last edited by oasis; June 19th 2008 at 08:29. Reason: additional comment added
Old June 20th 2008, 02:41

oasis,

I really appreciate all the help you have given me on this topic. Sent lanner an email with my plans, so hopefully I will hear something from him soon.

BTW, I believe these are the sources you were talking about.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

http://www.wheeladapter.com/home.asp

Thanks for everything!!!
Old June 20th 2008, 14:52

Yup. Both were highly recommended. I used the latter.
Old June 20th 2008, 22:01

Hi

I used to run Cookies on the front of a standard bug, they were 6x15 with a 36 ET and they fitted fine.

Just forgetting that you have a narrowed beam for a sec, comparing Cookies with what you have, you will end up with,
Inner Clearance: 30mm less (the inside of the wheel to the strut housing)
Outer Position: 8mm less (position of the outside edge of the wheel)
Then you need to deduct your narrowed beam from the equation.

Steve