GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 8th 2007, 06:26

Machining drums to be used as hubs?

I recall a thread where someone machined down the drums (with 5x130 pattern) to fit inside or on top of a Porsche rotor to be used as a hub. What's the feasibility of this?
Old June 8th 2007, 11:33

Better bet would be to machine down aftermarket Porsche pattern discs, they have the strength in thickness then and you could fit studs.
Rich
Old June 8th 2007, 12:53

When you say Porsche discs, are you referring to VW disc brakes with the Porsche pattern? And are they available for the rear that way?
Old June 9th 2007, 05:22

Yes, I was talking about Porsche 'bolt pattern' discs for a VW, they are thicker around the mounting area. Porsche made the rear hubs already (they are on the 944 )
Old June 9th 2007, 07:43

Thanks ricola,

One of my goals is to keep possible width increases to a minimum... Ghia you know. My figurations are / were that I would only (possibly) get <10mm increase per side which would be a good thing for those of us who are a little lacking in wheel well space... Ghia you know Anyway, I figured that would be a good way to not widen things too much.

I've got some early 944 aluminum trailing arms with all the necessary components to mount them on my Ghia, as well as the front hub that needs to me modded to work (later style for the front hub), I've just got doubts about the 'relative ease' of making it all work... Ghia you know

DORIGTT
Old June 9th 2007, 08:28

Hi

You could use stock 4 stud drums instead of discs and do the same thing, the disc will give a slight track increase of the drum. If you then studded the brake drum to 5x130 that would work.

On my old 1302 I used 5x130 bug discs with the braking surface removed, then bolted the Porsche rotor on the back with a spacer to get the offset correct in the same manner that Porsche rotors fit up.

Steve

Old November 28th 2007, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT View Post
I recall a thread where someone machined down the drums (with 5x130 pattern) to fit inside or on top of a Porsche rotor to be used as a hub. What's the feasibility of this?
Is this the one you're on about? My mate did it to his Baja and it works a treat. The vehicle gets some hammer too and it seems to be holding up well.

http://www.airsouls.com/how-tos/rear_discs.htm

Last edited by Dave; November 28th 2007 at 08:48.
Old February 1st 2008, 00:01

Hi

If you look closely at the top photo you can see the outer piece is a stock beetle disc with its braking surface removed, then you can see a thin aluminium spacer between the cut-down stock beetle disc and the Porsche rotor.

So to answer your question, I just used high tensile studs screwed into the threads in the cut-down stock beetle disc with a dab of Loctite to hold them in.

Steve

PS, there is a seller on Ebay Australia who sells these high tensile studs called "vforceracing".
Old February 1st 2008, 06:47

thanks for that info - so the wheel studs are just put into the old beetle disc - awesome. you have been very helpful - thanks. oh 1 more question - which disc would you suggest is best to use as ive noticed they come in different heights!
Old February 1st 2008, 07:57

Hi

No worries. Those discs are from an early 911, they also fit 944 (1982 - 1989), 911 (1969 - 1983) E,T,S,SC & Turbo.

You can download a brake rotor catalogue from here www.dba.com.au It has all sizes and heights listed

Steve
Old February 6th 2008, 16:01

dont suppose anyone has the dimensions you need to machine the beetle disc to get the same as the 944 T hub?? and when i have it machined what i needto shim out by?? Cheers anyone
Old April 1st 2008, 15:58
smithe68

Interested in that info too.
Old April 7th 2008, 16:39

i have been working on a conversion fitting 944 late discs to bug hubs and am keeping 4 stud bug pattern. you need to fit a spacer between the hub and the inside of the 944 disc depending on your application ~5mm.

i had a bloke i know machine 4/130 into the porsche disc - fits ok and you only end up with 1 hole with a thin land ~5mm. i made press fit spacers to the hubs which align the disc concentrically ensureing no issues.

haven't finished the caliper bracket yet......

using ibiza cupra calipers on mine 54mm pistons.