GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old July 28th 2003, 10:38

HID head lights

Has anyone used HID head lights on there GL project yet? For those of you that don't know what HID is it means High Intensity Discharge. Like the bluesh white lights you see on BMW and new Porsche. I have a friend that has a shop that can get the HID bulb that will plug in as a replacement for most any type of head light and give you the 8300k or what ever the brightest one is... I am thinking of going with a set up like this on my project. The cost is around $300 to $400

plans

power 13b Turbo Rotary 300 hp
Wheels 18" turbo twists
inside Sparco blue racing seats
Sparco pedels, wheel, and shifter nob

Sparco Rep Andrew @ www.pilotracegear.com Good deals on Sparco stuff
Old July 28th 2003, 10:43

Vincent

I think Alex is using HID lights on his Split GL.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old July 28th 2003, 10:54

i have them on my 72 super:

using the 4100k bulbs and hella ballasts. they are the brightest. as you go up in numbers to 8300k the light becomes more blue/purple in colour, but your light output decreases. so the hotter the temp ____k, the more purple you'll see but the less lumens of light they will produce.
Old July 28th 2003, 13:17

I actaully found some nice short Bi-Xenon projectors that will be fitted into my headlights with the help of some friends.

Hope to have them done for x-mas.

Alex
Old July 28th 2003, 16:02

911 & Porsche World magazine have just done a feature on fitting a kit to a 964 porsche. As these headlights are so similar to bug ones the article maybe appropriate

project in progress
Old July 28th 2003, 22:51

hey petevw

I looked at your Yahoo page and did not see any pics of your HID head lamps do you have any pics of the light and what they look like at night?

Thanks

plans

Wheels 18" turbo twists

Old July 28th 2003, 23:50

i think there is a pic of the ballast. i will try get a pic of the lights at night. will probably take a couple of days. i have to borrow a digi cam.
Old July 29th 2003, 00:41

yes I saw the pic of the Ballist.

plans

Wheels 18" turbo twists

Old July 29th 2003, 09:36
Administrator

Pete,

At the next Boxer AG meet, there will be a digi cam.

Sandeep
Old August 13th 2003, 07:47
Administrator

I put a pair of Silver Stars in mine, very simple, very bright and not too expensive.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old December 12th 2003, 15:41

I'm replying here rather than the "Has anyone thought of this?" thread which really is the catalyst for my ponderings. I didn't want to send that thread on a wayward tangent as I am interested in that continuing saga as well.

I apologize in advance for length this will probably be even though my question is somewhat basic. My searching on the Internet yielded a lot advertisements with the accompanying propaganda. Some useful information filtered through as well.

I, too (as in the other thread), have been thinking long and hard about what to do with a Super Beetle (1303) with regards to headlights. I don't want to end up with something that may look like an updated version of the Mulholland Look. That, however, is a matter of style.

My inquiry now is a matter of function. Unfortunately, it involves a series of what-is-it's and what's-better.

I assume the Super has a stock headlight like my '85 Vanagon did. (I'll stick with US-names for simplicity.) And I assume stock headlights are different from halogen headlights which my '81 Pickup and '86 Jetta had.

That said, what are the headlights offered as replacements which come as "clear" and "crystal cut"?

They seem to use Xenon bulbs such as 9004's. I know they are not HID kits or projection units. Are they better?

I never gave headlights a lot of thought until we bought our '02 Cabrio and '02 Golf. By comparison, out '93 EuroVan didn't put out squat for light. This was my first venture into searching for information on headlights. The cost of converting the EuroVan was prohibitive considering how long we wanted to keep it, how old it already was then, and where we -- actually, I -- wanted to spend my disposable income.

The result for EuroVan was I purchased some Xenon bulbs off of eBay. They bulbs were a significant improvement but they were still a weak sister compared to the two Golfs.

So, then, what do my Golfs have? They obviously are not projection headlights. I doubt they are HID's. But they are better than what's currently in my EuroVan.

(I was told if I converted my EuroVan to an HID kit, I would lose my high beams with the 9004.)

Okay, getting back to Super Beetle -- where do all of the options stand up to each other as far as which is better? If possible, can it be quantified as to how much better? I assume the options are (a) regular headlights, (b) clear/crystal headlights, (c) whatever my Golfs have, (d) an HID kit complete with ballasts, and (e) projection headlamps.

(Also, are (b) and (c) above the same? And, is (e) a subset of (d)?)

If I want an HID/projection system, do I need to go to a Mercedes/Mini/Porsche/other system and have it custom fitted (or is it "cussed 'em fitted")? I may want to do that, but do I need to do it? Can I convert to clear/crystal, and then convert to an HID kit?

And finally, do I need separate lamps for high beams and fog lights?

Thanks for reading this far and thanks in advance to anyone who will inform me.
Old January 17th 2004, 15:17

Hey Pete!

How much amps does the HID ballast take. And how much power does it use, meaning does you Alternator light glow a little when you turn on your headlights?

Hopefully Soon!!
Back home in Port Orchard, and saving for the Bug
Old January 17th 2004, 20:13

hi
clear or crystal as you call them have a clear front lense the refraction of the light to the side of the road dependant on what country you liuve in is done by the reflecter bowl by flutes within it look at my avtar they are clear lights.

i have legal bulbs in there 55w60w and they are so much better than any normal aircooled headlight the pair i took of where brand new uk spec hellas they are never gonna put out as much light when they got frosted glass mind are they !

i have the hella catalouge here and in there you can get the hid sets in variuos different sizes seem to slowly be comeing down in price a little only problem with hid lights is where to put the control box !! hid lights are in like two parts a sort of quite large relay box and then what you would normally call the bulb is actually a burner! it looks like a bulb mind.
Old March 2nd 2004, 20:32

HID bulbs

I scored a set of HID halo projector beams online for 150 bucks. These are designed to go in a 1991 civic. I am taking them apart and cutting them down to fit in my car. Should look very nice when completed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Set42_02.jpg (47.6 KB, 356 views)
Old July 16th 2004, 10:11

Hi

Ive been looking at putting HID or projector lights in my new project bug. I will be using Aero guards again, these use an early Beetle/Porsche headlight bucket. What Ive been thinking of doing is is buy some Hella lights from rally lights and mount them under early beetle headlights with clear lenses. Found this tech article on fiting them to a ricer.

http://home.comcast.net/~c.tangonan/..._Tutorial.html http://www.rallylights.com/

Steve C