GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old July 9th 2007, 09:22

wilwood calipers on solid and vented disk differences

hello guys

i was thinking about using a stock beetle disk with a pair of wilwood 4 piston calipers (iv found 1 that fits but cant think of the name - powerlite i think) anyway... at the rear im fitting 914 disks, golf calipers, t3 hubs and wanted wilwoods at front.

iv got stock disks on there already so could just buy the wilwoods and make a bracket, or, i could spend the extra (nearly double the cost) by getting the VW style vented bolt on disk but i dont know if it would make any braking improvements apart from keeping cooler?

i guess a 4 piston wilwood on either a stock disk, or a vented disk will give a fairly big increase in power, especially with the rear 914/golf/t3 setup?

thanks
Old July 10th 2007, 09:49

I am not clear on what combinations you are asking about which may be okay as I have no experience with some of the specific components you are thinking about using.

As a general rule, I would say make sure the rear brakes aren't overkill compared to the front brakes as the fronts do 70% of the braking. (Of course, you don't want to under-do it either but that doesn't seem to be an issue if I understand you correctly.)

All other things being equal, solid disks brake "better" the first time as in a panic stop than vented brakes. Vented brakes maintain "better overall braking" in constant use situations because they stay cooler.

Personally when I get my next chance, I will get my brakes through Lanner at VeeDubEngineering. I just feel better having parts that are dedicated to work with each other made by a reputable source than piece-milling different parts together and tweaking away to make them work in unison. But, that's just me, I'm sure.