GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old March 19th 2013, 07:16
Administrator

Looks like it is coming together very well.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 30th 2013, 01:52

update time. i got my pedals painted tonight, and i got my caliper brackets tacked in place so tomarrow i can tig weld them togather. im trying out a caliper upgrade that i found out about that a lot of the 914 guys do. its a 4 pistom caliper. lot more braking surface. im really trying to get this car running by April 20th. well on to the pics.

Old April 6th 2013, 19:15

update time.
i got the motor installed into my new car. i got all my fuel lines ran, and also my fuel regulator installed. i opted to hard line all the fuel lines in the engine bay.

now it was time to add the oh so important power adder. lol

here is the turbo mocked up. the up pipe i made, ill take that down to the muffler shop and have them bend me one out of one piece of tubing

hoping to have her running here very soon. then i HOPE its all down hill from their.
Old April 10th 2013, 04:22
Administrator

Looking good so far. Are you going to run a charge cooler? What are those calipers from?
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 10th 2013, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
What are those calipers from?
They look to be the 4-pot Volvo 240 calipers to me - a common upgrade in the 914 world.

I'm curious - is your centre plenum a standard one from a WBX I haven't seen before, or is it a modified one? I've not seen a factory WBX with the throttle-body on top before, only off to the side towards #1 cylinder.
'02 Passat Sport Diseasel Estate ("Das Boot")
'05 Seat Leon FR, chipped (Mrs Moog's toy really...)
Old April 11th 2013, 01:10

@no_h20 Moog is right. their off a volvo 240. their 4 piston calipers that have solid rotors on a volvo 240. it took some work as i had to basically part off the original caliper mounting off the bracket. then i made my own mounting brackets out of 3/4 inch thick steel that i then welded to the brackets. should stop a lot better now given the added power of the turbo.
i do plan on running an intercooler. my biggest issue right now is do i run it under the deck lid? or do i get some duck tail wing and put an intercooler in that much like how Wally has his mounted. im looking for options/ ideas on this. i want to run an air to air intercooler cause of its simplicity way more so than a air to water intercooler set up. i really want to keep it as simple as i can.

@Moog yes i took the stock WBX plenum and made a mounting flange and mounted a throttle body out of a 2.0L Hyundai. i did this cause i needed one with a TPS and i also wanted the better location that i have it now.
Old April 11th 2013, 01:34

heres a quick update from what ive gotten done over the last 3 or so days. i got most of the motor mocked up and them took it all back apart to get everything looking the part like the rest of the car. my good friend that has a drag bug was able to hook me up with a cool mini alternator. i fabed up a bracket quick, then i painted it the atlas gray, and i painted the turbo, and intake manifolds the same green as my car. i also got a new up pipe made up from the exhaust shop. the bad part is that im gonna have to cut a hole in my left side inner fender well for the down pipe to go thru. well onto the pics as always.

Old April 11th 2013, 07:35

That's a whole lotta green.

Looks good.
Old April 11th 2013, 18:29

Hi

Looking good, I'm quiet fond of water to air inter coolers in rear engined cars, with quality parts they are very reliable.

Steve
Old June 4th 2013, 18:24

sorry everyone thats been watching this build thread of mine. as of before this past weekend ive just been crazy busy with building this car, trying to get it done for a show (WUSTE Vegas) that ive wanted to take it to. well my hard work paid off. its now 90% done. heres some of the pics leading up to the finished product. im VERY happy with the out come. altho i didnt win anything this year, over this next year im hoping to get the car really dialed in and getting to make it back next year hoping to maybe place. well heres the pics everyone. im hoping you all love it as much as i do. on the the pics.

heres me loaded and ready for the big WUSTE vegas euro show.

and lastly, pics from the show.

i feel i built quite a proper german look and i added a few tweeks of my own to make it fit more to todays standards. again...im super happy with it.

Last edited by cookvw; June 4th 2013 at 18:33.
Old June 5th 2013, 10:15

Wow,

Very nice.. congrats on your project..
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old June 5th 2013, 15:46

Looks awesome but a tight fit on the tires, any rubbing? Those also look like different fenders without the flare, are they still 1 1/2" wider than stock? What are the specs on the wheels?

Okay, enough questions, but the bug looks awesome and I hope it drives as good as it looks. You've got yourself a head turner for sure, and I'm going to borrow a few ideas from you
Old June 5th 2013, 19:13

Hi

That looks so good, have you driven it yet? Are you going to fit an engine lid?

Steve
Old June 5th 2013, 23:58

@humble the fenders are stock fenders. all i did was pinch the rolled inner lip closed to gain some more room. the specs on the rims are 17x8.5 front et20 with a 205/40/17, and the rears are 17x10 et15 with a 235/40/17. no rubbing what so ever.

@ stevec ive driven it about 15 miles, but i got a coolant leak i gotta fix, and of course with my luck as always, i got megasquirt issues i gotta deal with. i love ms, but i also hate it. i can never seem to set it up, and just have the damn thing run for me like everyone else. lol yes i have a deck lid, but im waiting on hood hinges. since i cut all the original mounting tin out to make way for the intercooler, i now will have to mount external hinges to make the hood open and close.

as far as MS goes, i think im dealing with too high of fuel pressures. i bought a ebay adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and it won't turn down the fuel pressure, all it will do is increase the fuel pressure. maybe i have too high of a fuel pump. the spacs on the pump i got now is from a ford ranger 1985 that i bought new 4 days ago from auto zone, and flow #'s are:
Maximum Free Flow Rate (gph): 40
Maximum Pressure Range (psi): 95
Minimum Free Flow Rate (gph): 30
Minimum Pressure Range (psi): 70

my injectors are rated for around 45-50psi.

the car has a lot to finish on it. i still have to wire up the headlights, taillights, in the future install carpet/door cards, again decklid, im switching to coilovers in the back asap cause i over dealing with the torsion bars. i cant get the car to sit level. i tried both inner and outer setting trying to get it right, but after about 4 hrs of it, i said screw it. i wanted coilovers anyway. in the front my spring rate is 360lbs, and in the rear im thinking 600lbs springs. i think its close to what Humble is running. i like the front. it handles really well.

so yes folks, i simply just slapped the car together for the show. so still lots left to do. but my wildland season starts monday. so my progress will im sure slow down. sucky having a summer job and building a fun summer car....seems kinda redundant doesnt it...lol

well im glad you all so far like it. i know the wheels are close to the fenders, but i was going for that "stanced" look as they call it these days. lol.
Old June 6th 2013, 13:41

MS is great but it's only as good as the rest of your components. If your min fuel pressure is 70psi you will have to run either smaller injectors or use ridiculously small injector open times to get correct fueling. You'd be better off getting an aeromotive boost referencing fpr or a walbro or bosch 044 fuel pump.

For the springs I think 360/600 is way on the stiff side for a street car. On my street bug I'm running 250# in front and 23.5mm 944 torsion bars, but I'll swap that out for 550# rear coilovers eventually.

Also, I was looking to see what seats you used but maybe I missed it somewhere?