GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 18th 2008, 07:06

944 Turbo Alloy Arm Geometry

I have the 944T wide (71mm wider alloy arms)
These arms are running 18x8.5 52mm ET wheels and will now need 4.5 inch wider guards.(yes I am a nutcase!) While fabbing these up I changed to 944 spring plates (Adjustable). The head of the adjuster bolts rub against the frame slightly . To help this- I had some spacers made up that go between the suspension rubber in the torsion housing and the inside of the spring plate . I found out it needs to be at least the width of the bolt heads- + a little more for clearance-What have others done? (I dont want to clearance the frame and weaken it!)
Cheers David

Big motor-Big brakes-Big wheels-Big FUN !!!!
Old February 27th 2008, 18:16

My 944T spring plates run - just- past the eccentric bolt-head.
Your not the only one who had this problem. Others have asked this before. Search some more maybe?
I don't know their answers, but I haven't done anything special myself at all. It kinda fitted the first time

Oh, I run 7 cm wider Kerscher in the rear and 18"x9 ET52 with 245/35. That just fits as well
Old February 27th 2008, 19:23

Hi

You can find it of you search for 944 in suspension, but you will need to to trawl through many pages to find the information.

I welded the forward bolt head to the spring plate and ground it down a bit and then clearanced the chassis for the bolt heads, the rear bolt head I ground down a bit as well.

The rearward bolt is the adjuster, it can be hard to turn to adjust the height, I jack the car up, loosen the front spring plate bolt and on the rear nut I fit another nut on the outside and lock it to the existing nut so I can turn it to raise the height.

I've fitted 3 sets of these now, 2 of them I cut the Porsche torsion bar rubbers off completely and used VW urethane "rubbers" on the inner and outer.

The other car I used the 944 outer spring plate retainer but cut it down to fit, I used the stock 944 rubbers on the outside and again VW urethane "rubbers" on the inner.

You don't need spacers.

The height adjustment is very useful, I put one of my cars together and it was too high, a small adjustment on the spring plate got it down to where I liked it.

Steve

Last edited by Steve C; February 27th 2008 at 19:25.