GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old December 11th 2010, 12:32

How to preserve calipers

Hi everyone, question, I just bought a set of front and rear 944 turbo calipers. It will be awhile before I can install them. At the brake fluid supply hole I used a steel brake line and bent it over in a vise. I feel that is not a good enough sealed method. There are brake caliper/master cylinders assembly lubes I could use. Do you think this rubber part brake friendly assembly fluid will be a good interior preserved? I know if not done correctly the pistons will rust.

Next if I need to totally rebuild the calipers is there a good source for re-building brembo caliper?

Thanks
Old December 12th 2010, 00:27

Plastic plugs would be the best. Nothing is going to rust on brembos, they are ALL aluminum. The pistons have a "teflon type" coating on them anyway. The only thing I've found for rebuilding brembos are piston kits. They come with two seals and a piston starting at $45 per piston kit. X4 per caliper X4 calipers = I had no choice but to go this way on mine. The dust boots were torn on mine, and I powder coated my calipers anyway. So, everything had to come apart for this. But when it comes to having a safe car...

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old December 13th 2010, 09:41

If you plan to refurbish them at a later date regardless, you could take them to pieces and wipe some 3in1 oil on them. Otherwise I'd fill with brake fluid the best you can to protect the insides and plug them. Whack them in a plastic bag in the house until you want to use them.

I had some Porsche single pots in the garage for ages in pieces, the bores were oiled and still good, only had a very light hone when I put them back together. The pistons were kept inside out of harms way in a plastic bag after oiling.