GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old July 28th 2008, 21:38

the GL i'm planing on doing

ok so im 16yrs old. and i got my first car just over a yr ago. its a nice lil 72 non sb. i was acctally trying to find a nice split window bus at the time but this turned up and it was in very nice condition and cheap.

right now im just trying to see wut i want to do with terible red so i can make it into the kind of car i want. iv done a lot of research and iv done some planing and wonce i move out and probly go into the military is when i plan on stripping this bad boy and really have some fun....

plans =
viper green paint w/ all crome goign into black.
phone dial wheels that r blk with a viper green lip and the hole in viper green.
good type1 motor w/ 5 blade horizontal fan kit, and a nice lil turbo (t3 maybe)
custom made exhust so it come out both side just like a race car
custom A frame front end with porche spindles and calipers.
944 turbo trailing arms with disck breake convertion.
901/915 trans.
full adjustable coil overs to change ride hight to liking.
nice front vanalce for down force, maybe work on a back apron to throw air upwards.
a full mod for better air travel to engine compatment.
hidden radiator for oil cooling.
back stabalizer to limit body roll.
racing seats, wrapped in stear hides to match the leather in my baseball glove
and a radio big enought to hear over the engine.

i know this is going to take a lot of work and $$$$$$ iv done more research then i probly need to. and i want to do all the work myself so i dont spend to much
Old July 29th 2008, 07:42

sounds like a cool project. Work hard, save lots of money & learn to do
as much as the work as you can do yourself.

Other things that will help you are picking up deals and even doing some
swapping to earn extra money

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old July 29th 2008, 15:22

Sounds pretty good! If you need a car to drive, don't get this thing taken too far apart, you'll never have it back together to use it. Set goals, for example engine first, then brakes, then suspension, whatever. The pretty stuff should be left for last, as it always gets damaged if you try to work around it. Take your time, do a lot of thinking, label and bag everthing so you know what it goes to. You've outlined a pretty complete car, but it will take years and thousands of $ to get done, so if you need transportation in the mean time, get another car, then this can just sit somewhere if you have the space, and work on it as you have time and $. If you don't have the space or need to drive it daily, just do things in complete phases. We've all been there, I got my bug when I was 15, and it's a whole lot of fun. We'd love to offer any advice or suggestions you might need, please feel free to ask.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old July 29th 2008, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
Sounds pretty good! If you need a car to drive, don't get this thing taken too far apart, you'll never have it back together to use it. Set goals, for example engine first, then brakes, then suspension, whatever. The pretty stuff should be left for last, as it always gets damaged if you try to work around it. Take your time, do a lot of thinking, label and bag everthing so you know what it goes to. You've outlined a pretty complete car, but it will take years and thousands of $ to get done, so if you need transportation in the mean time, get another car, then this can just sit somewhere if you have the space, and work on it as you have time and $. If you don't have the space or need to drive it daily, just do things in complete phases. We've all been there, I got my bug when I was 15, and it's a whole lot of fun. We'd love to offer any advice or suggestions you might need, please feel free to ask.

Jason
i know i need another car. i have a barn up in the country and all the boating things and other junk got stollen out of it. its i nice lil place with an old rv that works just doesnt run so my plan was to build a lil hut inside with a lil ac to do the painting and working on in. i have a lil sb my friends is willing to sell me for $100 all i have to do is slip my engine in it. now soon i plan on stripping my car and painting it up there. so we'll see how good this idea is
Old July 30th 2008, 12:40

I painted my chassis in a barn when I was your age, I made a paint booth out of plastic and wood and used cheese cloth as a filter on one end and a regular window fan to pull air through on the other. Then I sprayed the booth down with water and left the floor wet. I had ONE speck of dust on all the parts I painted, so if you plan it right, home stuff works out just fine if you're careful. Buy a good respirator!!!!! I didn't, and I'm sure I lost a few brain cells that night!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old August 3rd 2008, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
I painted my chassis in a barn when I was your age, I made a paint booth out of plastic and wood and used cheese cloth as a filter on one end and a regular window fan to pull air through on the other. Then I sprayed the booth down with water and left the floor wet. I had ONE speck of dust on all the parts I painted, so if you plan it right, home stuff works out just fine if you're careful. Buy a good respirator!!!!! I didn't, and I'm sure I lost a few brain cells that night!

Jason

hahaha i knew im not the only person who planed this out