GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 8th 2004, 02:06

1997 993 calipers on Type 3

Can the 4pot calipers from a 1997 993 be used in a conversion for an IRS type3?
I am having difficulty with research on the bolt spacing and the stock disc diameter. A limiting factor for me is that I have decided to used 16" boxster wheels and the brakes will have to fit. Where I live the roads are too rough for larger wheels and lower profile tires. Also, what master cylinder would I use for this setup.
thanks.
Old April 18th 2005, 22:29

Did you figure out what you needed?

I'm lookin' to do the same thing....
Needs: TLC
Old April 20th 2005, 21:00

993 brakes

Hi I had your question about 993 brakes on a type 3 several months ago. I was told to buy the parts and it should work like a type 1 IRS. I am now in the middle of doing a conversion myself. I bought 1997 993 front and rear brakes(calipers and disc). I also bought 1988 944T front hubs and 1984 NA rear hubs plus the mounting plates for the calipers and internal e-brake parts. As far as I have mocked up the rear. If you have an na hubs, 993 caliper and 933 disc it will all work together. I bet the Porsche Engineers had no idea these brakes would make it on a notch type 3 hahaha . You will need some small spacers made (about 3mm) to space the calipers out so it centers on the disc. I have converted my 62 notch to IRS from a 1969 square. I hope this helps ask more questions if need. Buy the parts and you can make it work. I have one uncertainity and that is how far the set ups space the wheels out. I have 17" twist 9" back and 7" front I plan on shorting my suspensions any way to fit everything under the fenders. As far as the fronts go I just send them to Lanner Khan at veedubcustoms.com and It sounds like he will get them to work when he gets them this week. I mocked them up and it looks like there will be some small issues. Let you know once I get them back. I will post some pics with the front and rear disc put on the car in about 1 month or 2.

Good luck.

Type 3 cost 3 times as much.