Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 30th 2007, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
I wonder what they are asking for it
'Bout tree fiddy!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child

Last edited by Panelfantastic; October 30th 2007 at 21:49.
Old November 1st 2007, 17:00

Heee heee!

I talked to Bruce at Eyeball, he says about $3k and should be available late spring '08. I was hopin too fiddy!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old November 1st 2007, 17:21

Thats pretty darn good considering a generic, overseas produced, standard optioned streetrod setup starts at $2500. That Eyeball stuff is talked about like it's top notch, means it prolly is.

*side note*
That is prolly the only episode of South Park that I was ever able to get my wife to sit through... she actually found humour in Chef's dad telling the story of Nessie oweing him money. "Seems like it was bout tree fiddy!" :chef:

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old November 2nd 2007, 02:32

Volkdent,
Did Bruce at Eyeball discuss how much he has tested his setup and how it handles? Also, do you know if it only fits the ball front end, or will it work with the LP also?

Thanks, I'm getting excited.
Old November 2nd 2007, 05:00

I like his other products, but I'm really not happy using ball joints as suspension joints, they just weren't designed with that in mind. My last kit car use them on its rear suspension and they didn't last long and started knocking loudly as they wore, the factory soon came out with a redesigned system using proper suspension joints (pillow joints) that was much better.
Old November 2nd 2007, 17:07

Like Jason said, I also talked with Bruce. He is redesigning the upper and lower a-arms to allow for more width. He mentioned that there is a possibility of fitting an airbag system for the suspension. I personally like the coil overs.

Bruce's partner that was also very instrumental in the design is an engineer (I believe he said aircraft) and they have thousands of hours of design and a couple years of driving experience with their front end. Bruce also mentioned that his partner worked for an Indy team, so I have great expectations for this design.

There is nothing wrong with the ball joints. Remember, that is what the B/J and L/P spindles have been using forever. If the angles of the seat cups are the same as are on the torsion arms shouldn't be a problem.

Bruce's main idea was to use as many VW parts as possible to keep replacement costs to a minimum. The whole unit bolts up to the frame head. It is a true replacement. Just take off the B/J front end and bolt on this unit. The spindles are VW also. The steering rack is VW. I asked about a steering dampner and he said so far, it has proven not to be needed. The only thing that will have to be sourced is a steering column from a Super Beetle. It also has to be cut and repositioned.

Bruce said that the use of dropped spindles is not needed as the front end is already 4" lower than the standard !!! He really has my curiosity up for the possibilities.

I have invited Bruce to join us on this forum and I hope he does. Please give him a call and let him know that I was talking him up here !! Hopefully he will come on here and answer all the questions you would have. I also hope if I made any misstatement, he will correct me...

Here is his website: http://www.eyeball-engineering.net/

Take care and God Bless,

Kelly (Cohibra45)
Old November 2nd 2007, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibra45 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the ball joints. Remember, that is what the B/J and L/P spindles have been using forever. If the angles of the seat cups are the same as are on the torsion arms shouldn't be a problem.
I should have been more explicit, I meant to say steering tie rod ball joints, they were never designed to take suspension loads, just steering loads.
Old November 2nd 2007, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
I should have been more explicit, I meant to say steering tie rod ball joints, they were never designed to take suspension loads, just steering loads.
I agree. I used steering ball joints in the top position on my setup, but they are in the much less loaded position and also are from a '70 Ford Galaxy, quite a beefy car, so I'm not too worried about them in that location. I'm not sure Bruce's design has anywhere near the stiffness of my design, but it's a whole lot simpler and easy to fabricate, which should keep the cost down. I think that if the steering balljoints are an issue with his design it wouldn't be too hard to retrofit something a little better down the road.

Looks like there will be at least a couple of decent A-arm suspensions available for bugs in the new year!!! I'm not sure if I'll ever add mine to the list, but at least its good to know they are available.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 2nd 2007, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdub View Post
Volkdent,
Did Bruce at Eyeball discuss how much he has tested his setup and how it handles? Also, do you know if it only fits the ball front end, or will it work with the LP also?

Thanks, I'm getting excited.
I only know of two cars running the design, a topless, roll-caged, drag-type car, and a show car that probably hasn't seen a dirty street yet.

I recall seeing a second set of holes on the front plate that looked to be in the position of the link-pin type front end, but I can't say for sure. It wouldn't be to difficult to make Bruce's or my design work for both, Pete's will have to have have a second version built.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run