GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 7th 2004, 16:20

944 turbo trailing arms on IRS

Hello to all,

this my first post on the forum. Sorry about the mistake i can do but english isn't my mother language. But i'll do my best.

I understood that a lot of guys installing 944 arms on a superbeelte want to narrow the arms (fender free space i guess). In my case, I want to go in the opposite way.

I own a Deserter buggy on IRS floorpan. Due to the large fenders of the buggy, i'm aesthetically obliged to use wheels as ET11 or lower (for example Porsche 944 '86 turbo phone dial wheels). But if i want to install Cup wheels (ET52), i have to widen the rear of the buggy to have a better filling of the fenders. My idea was to use latest Porsche 944 turbo wich are about 46 milimeters more than Superbeetle trailing arms.
Does anybody can inform me about an techical article explaining how to to install the turbo arms on a beetls. What about the connexion between the torsion bars, torsion plate and arms ? Do i have to do some special modifications ?

Thank you for your help and for your patience.

Frans

PS; pics of my bugy are available on my website: http://users.pandora.be/fcl-engeneer...pletebuggy.htm
Old April 7th 2004, 19:23

The swap isn't that hard. It has been covered in depth many times before. Do a search in the forums and i'm sure most of your questions will be answered. If that doesn't help you I did the swap and could offer some help.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old April 7th 2004, 21:22

Frans, what type of exhaust is that? It looks cool. Way different than our "american" EMPI crap exhausts that melt when they get hot! Cool buggy! it looks like that car from A Clockwork Orange that they drove around in.
Old April 8th 2004, 01:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
The swap isn't that hard. It has been covered in depth many times before. Do a search in the forums and i'm sure most of your questions will be answered. If that doesn't help you I did the swap and could offer some help.
I tried to search on the forums, but most of info i get were about non turbo arms. I don't know of the adpatation is the same for turbo arms (around the torsion plate)...
Old April 8th 2004, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by craazy Cooter
Frans, what type of exhaust is that? It looks cool. Way different than our "american" EMPI crap exhausts that melt when they get hot! Cool buggy! it looks like that car from A Clockwork Orange that they drove around in.
This is a BAS Ahnendorp (Germany) stailnless steel exhaust. I don't have the weblink in mind, but if you don't find their website, ask me and i will look for it. I don't know if they export to the US. Great quality, great sound and great perfs...but high price.
Old April 8th 2004, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans
I tried to search on the forums, but most of info i get were about non turbo arms. I don't know of the adpatation is the same for turbo arms (around the torsion plate)...
The late trailings arms are the same for the turbo and non turbo. The only difference is the rotors and calipers. I belive that the early aluminum trailing arms are the same for the turbo and non turbo but I haven't done that swap so I can't be 100% But I'm 99.9% sure.
Old April 9th 2004, 01:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
The late trailings arms are the same for the turbo and non turbo. The only difference is the rotors and calipers. I belive that the early aluminum trailing arms are the same for the turbo and non turbo but I haven't done that swap so I can't be 100% But I'm 99.9% sure.
Thanks for the help
Old April 12th 2004, 18:32

i have the knowledge and even the pics from my conversion. just haven't had time to write it up. there are some threads on here as said before. if you can't find something, ask. we can help you through it.

i am not a master fabricator or anything. it is pretty easy. toughest part is clearancing the shock tower. most everything else is bolt on. i will work to get the tech article together as soon as i can, but don't wait on me.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old April 12th 2004, 21:25

That reminds me, I better get typing.
Old January 3rd 2008, 21:24
vwdevotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
i have the knowledge and even the pics from my conversion. just haven't had time to write it up. there are some threads on here as said before. if you can't find something, ask. we can help you through it.
Can you post a starter version? I've been reading pretty much every thread I can find, and they all seem to say "it's in other threads, go read them"; maybe I'm just missing the original threads. '86 seems to be the most popular, but is that only because it is narrow? Why else?