GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 25th 2005, 19:19

944 brakes good deal?

i know a guy parting out a 83 944 non turbo and i can get all the brakes for 150 to 200 dollars. does this sound like a deal or to high? i can probably get the rear trailing arms throw in to but do i need the rear arms or can i use my stock VW ones? i know i need the front spindles and i will have to switch to the 74 -79 struts since my super is a 72. he also has a set of cookie cutter wheels on it if anyone is interested in them. and what is the bolt pattern of the 944? is it 5x130 or 5x100 like the new beetle?
Old February 25th 2005, 20:37

I just paid $100 for a front brake set-up on pelican parts forum. The bolt pattern is 5x130.
What are the dimensions of the Cookies? I need 4-wheels 15x6 or 15x7 (or16")with the et52 offset.
Mark
Old February 25th 2005, 21:23

did the hundred get you the spindles to? i think i will be getting a good deal since i am getting front and rear for 150 or 200 including spindles and maybe the rear trailing arms. I don't know the details on the cookies but they are 15 inchers. i may have to borrow them since i have 18's on my beetle that i have redrilled my drums to accept and they are the 5x100 pattern from the new beetle so i will have to get new wheels in the porsche pattern.
Old February 26th 2005, 00:48

the spindles were part of the price if I wanted them. I didn't need them for the bus though.
Old February 27th 2005, 01:52

well i am getting all the brake stuff on monday. ended up trading some stuff for them. but now that i have looked more into stuff like the brakes widening track width and my 18 inch wheels no longer fitting plus having to order special ball joints and e-brake stuff from kerscher not to mention getting new wheels and possably wider fenders i am thinking toplines disc kit with 1302 maxx struts is sounding better. my car is only a 1641cc and will be used for weekend cruising and drives to long distance shows so i wonder if the 944 brakes are worth the extra cost and effort verses toplines kits.
Old February 27th 2005, 16:11

can the porsche rotors be redrilled and studded to the 5x100 pattern or would it be to close together. this would let me keep my current wheels.And from what i have learned from searching the site is that the 944 brakes only increase track width by 10 mm per side. how much does it increase rear track width? i plan to use stock irs training arms and spring plates and axles.
Old March 1st 2005, 00:15

944 Brakes

i just bought front and rear 1985 944 brakes for 210 dollar's with good pad's and e brake shoe's and calipers the back is on waiting for my boy to make me some e brake cables for 150 buck's and bearing spacers. and cb drop spindles are on the way!!!!! i will be running 16 inch fuchs.... for now..
Old March 1st 2005, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 721302
well i am getting all the brake stuff on monday. ended up trading some stuff for them. but now that i have looked more into stuff like the brakes widening track width and my 18 inch wheels no longer fitting plus having to order special ball joints and e-brake stuff from kerscher not to mention getting new wheels and possably wider fenders i am thinking toplines disc kit with 1302 maxx struts is sounding better. my car is only a 1641cc and will be used for weekend cruising and drives to long distance shows so i wonder if the 944 brakes are worth the extra cost and effort verses toplines kits.

Yep there is a lot to think about when fitting these, and realistically the stock Disc set up is very good, when it is in good condition.

Don't for get that the 944 single pot set up is best used with the 944 master cylinder- so add that into you costings, plus new front brake lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 721302
can the porsche rotors be redrilled and studded to the 5x100 pattern or would it be to close together. this would let me keep my current wheels.And from what i have learned from searching the site is that the 944 brakes only increase track width by 10 mm per side. how much does it increase rear track width? i plan to use stock irs training arms and spring plates and axles.
Nope the 944 rotors bolt to the hub and the hub can't be re drilled. I have vaguely considered getting a new hub made to fit that had a different bolt pattern, but the size of the bearing / spindle is too large to allow a smaller pattern.

Best bet is to go for the Topline kit- get some drilled rotors, paint the calliper and fit a rear disk brake kit (Topline / CB) and slap on yer 18's (you'll need to maxx struts to fit them) Car will look hot

CU
Jeremy