GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old February 3rd 2010, 15:04

Oil cooler placement - How have you done yours?

I have a type 4 engine with a Porsche fan conversion and rather then modify the body of the bug to accept the standard oil cooler position, I would rather place the cooler elsewhere either remotley or within the shroud itself.

Has anybody got some tips + pics of the set ups you guys are using, what cooler you're using and where you have it mounted. It's been suggested that a remote cooler even with an electriic fan would be up to the job of cooling the oil suitabley when the car is stationary.

Is it possibe to mount an oil cooler inside the shroud itself to benifit from some of the ram air generated from the fan? or would this just block the air cooling the cylinders?

Remember, pictures are worth a thousand words!

Thanks
Old February 3rd 2010, 21:06

i dont have any pics but i had a porsche shroud on my 2275 type1 it was a 96 plate mounted under the package tray. NOH20 made a tech article located in the tech section of the home page for a 72 or 96 plate mesa

http://germanlook.net/html/tech/Tech...esaInstall.php

i now have a type4 and mounted my setrab 119 with a fan from the top bar of my kafer brace i works really well. fwiw i like the setrab 100 times better than the 96 plate mesa. the setrab is smaller and cools much more efficiently.
Old February 3rd 2010, 23:11

Oil Cooler Mount

I used the package tray. I made a box that houses the fan. It is open on the bottom and the fan takes cold air from the wheelwells and blows it past the cooler and down through a hole in the floor of the package tray. This is a terrable picture but it's all I have.

And this is what it looks like now.

Old February 4th 2010, 09:34

Hi

On my daily 1303 I have an oil cooler was mounted at the front of the fame head, works great, a 7 inch thermo fan has been added, the fan is controlled by thermo switch I got from CIP, motor is a mild 1904 Type 1, I have no stock oil cooler in the shroud, it gets up around 105 c after many laps on track days in summer, but it never gets hot enough in traffic to bring the fan on.

Steve

Old February 4th 2010, 10:11

Thanks for the answers chaps, it's good that nobody has suggested that a remote cooler with a fan wouldn't be up to the job.

Lazarus: That's along the lines of where I what I was thinking. The setrab cooler that you are using, how large is it approx? Can you see it here?

Airsick: Liking the idea but I don't really want to mod the bodywork too much.

Steve C: Have you just run the oil lines down underneath the floor pan? I guess that length of line would have a cooling affect on itself even without the cooler!
Do you think this additional run would put a strain on the oil pump though?
Old February 4th 2010, 11:20

the deminsions on the setrab is 8 1/2" x 5 3/4"x 2" you can check them out at the earls store (www.anplumbing.com)

i checked the link you posted and its the 19 row with m22 fittings but you would want the one with a fan pack
Old February 4th 2010, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
the deminsions on the setrab is 8 1/2" x 5 3/4"x 2" you can check them out at the earls store (www.anplumbing.com)

i checked the link you posted and its the 19 row with m22 fittings but you would want the one with a fan pack
Cheers Lazarus
Old February 4th 2010, 17:06

Hi

I just ran the lines down the pan under heater channel bolts. The cooler is one I had left over from another car, its no the ideal size as its size doesn't allow it to be mounted square to the airflow.

I used to work in a performance VW workshop in the 70s and every one of our HP air cooled VW motors used a similar setup, a 16 row cooler on milder motors and twin 16 rows on bigger motors.

I used the stock dog house oil cooler block, drilled and tapped to take fittings. I fitted a fan switch in the dog house cooler block, it was supposed to turn on at 97c and off at 92c, it screwed up somehow and was turning the fan on way to early.

Steve

Sorry about the poor photo