GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old December 31st 2005, 11:30

IRS for drag race

I sure know that the best option for a drag beetle would be a swingaxle+ladder bars setup, but, I sure would like run a IRS suspension,
Does anybody has any info, or maybe, a link to somebody who successifully drag races a beetle with a IRS suspension?
Old December 31st 2005, 21:05

I understand to make an irs backend standup to drag starts you will have to use porsche 930 cv joints or use a bus box and cv joint from a bus. On the question as to who have drag raced a irs backend car Russ Fellows from England do a search here you will find all the info you need.
Old January 24th 2006, 16:11

Russ's car had a G50 that is nearly as developed as the motor, I suspect that will be going into the new car

Richie Webb uses IRS in his faux early cabrio. He's lost faith in the T1 box it seams, T2 now I think.

I'll bet Germanlook.coms Marco (steam engine) has IRS aswell.

These are proper street cars, all turbo and in the VWDRC pro-class, There isn't too many 'full-race' cars going any quicker...

Berg took a good look at drag racing with IRS, somehow he used to throw circlips!! I may copy his method of securing the output flanges to the sidegears. Simply an M10 bolt and a washer, shaped to fit the bowl in the centre of the flange. Brilliant..

T1 CV joints just can't cope, one fix is T181 output flanges and T2 size CV joints. Better still, 944/411 CV joints with the thicker 944 shafts.

I fear my weakest link is the T181 output flange. If this fails maybe the 944 driveshafts will be to blame for lacking in any 'give'. The splines on the T1 IRS are stonger than the spiders in the stock diff.

Have you looked at the cost of a T2 'box built for T1 drag racing? ouch!

Porsche 5speed must be a factor to consider.

I have seen a sheared T1 IRS ZF output shaft, that had me really worried..

Matt
Old January 24th 2006, 20:01

I spoke to Russ and was told that his tranny was a 915 unit. He may be changing it when going to the big fat motor he's working on. We spoke at length about what he did to make it more reliable and going to stronger axles was a must. I believe they are now 300M axles that he had custom made to fit his car.
Old January 25th 2006, 03:28

His trans is a hybrid, I'm sure it's not all 915 inside..

Matt