GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old August 24th 2004, 09:40

Where's the fun in buying some already done. Those will work in the VW/ early 911/914 gauges. What I'm doing will be much cheaper (except for the sockets that will need to be purchased), plus I'm looking at using yellow and UV LEDs. For those already running 944 gauges my way will be hella simple, and very well priced.

Nick
Old August 24th 2004, 23:26

I stumbled across this site, they have a whole line up of automotive based products check it out. I will try to cross reference what we will be able to use. www.superbrightleds.com
Old August 25th 2004, 22:05

i would love some help figuring out what i would need for some interior lighting. don't need much. was thinking of one or two per side just under the dash. white or maybe blacklight. would love to get my 914/911 gauges white too. stock lighting on them suck.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old August 26th 2004, 00:33
Administrator

Here are your int. lights.
http://discountleds.com/fixtures.htm
And 914 gauge LED's
http://discountleds.com/otherleds.htm
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old August 26th 2004, 01:03

H2O that was a good link, it's lookin like most of the LED lighting issues have been handled by the aftermarket now. I was just at radio shack and I picked up a couple of LED holders for for the liscense plate lights on my bike. I think they will work good for your underdash lighting. The UV leds won't light up much unless your wearing white socks. The white will, just try and get the widest angle for illumination. Peep this link www.lsdiodes.com
I really like Samcats idea with the multicolored leds and the rheostat, that would be very trick. For me just having every led dim with the dimmer switch will make me happy.
This LED thing has become an addiction for me. Are there any 12 step programs for this?

Nick
Old August 26th 2004, 04:15

For working out what resistor to use:

http://bit-tech.net/article/68/

And the BEST leds to use.... STUPIDLY BRIGHT!
Luxeon stars...

http://bit-tech.net/review/82/

And if your in the UK and want LEDS try these:
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ <--- I have used there 12v resistors before on my car, works fine
http://www.maplins.com/

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.

Last edited by samcat; August 26th 2004 at 04:19.
Old August 26th 2004, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
well that is easy enough. plug and play. concerned as to if that adhesive is good enough in the long run vs. recessing one with a base up into the dash (leaves a bigger hole though).

Old August 26th 2004, 15:10
Administrator

I would scap the peel-n-stick right off the bat and go with a real good glue.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old August 27th 2004, 02:17

I finally tracked down the part number for the early 944 light bulb sockets/holders apparently they are also used on 74-89 911's, and www.pelicanparts.com wants 6.25 each . I use that socket for the LED conversion on the early 911/914 gauges. I'm gunna go to the local Porsche wrecker and see what they want for some. In the mean time I have crunched the numbers and figured out how to solder up the resistor to the LED and have it all fit in the socket. That means it will be plug and play . Also next week I'll know how the UV leds look in the different gauges as well as liscense plate lights.

Nick
Old August 27th 2004, 08:29

let us know. if you are in the mood to pick up extras and make them plug-n-play, let me know. so why not go with the ones no_h20 pointed out? too easy and just wanted to do it yourself or is there a technical difference you are looking at?

Old August 27th 2004, 09:34

Yes it will be to easy to spend $30 and bamm be done with it. But the way I'm doing it the socket will be universal between the 911/914 and the 944 gauges. Plus I'll have other color options, such as yellow/amber and UV, both of which I think will work awesome with the above mentioned gauges.

Nick
Old September 3rd 2004, 20:49

Quick Update

Ok I got a regulator circuit built and tested....gunna have to wait for the ones I ordered through work. "why would Supa waste his time with a regulator circuit?" Automotive electrical systems have voltages that are continuously fluctuating 11-15v with the ocassional spikes. LEDs don't like to go over their rated current (most are 20-30mA) and when I calculate the required resistance I use 13.7v as my input, so when the system only puts out 12.4v the current drops and light output drops as well, but the LEDs will last a lil longer. Now the current regulator circuit I'm working on will output a consistant 30ma(or whatever I set it to) with a fluctuating input from 12-20v, higher spike protection with some protection diodes.
I've been testing the different colors in the different gauges, it looks like amber works in the yellow 944 gauges, but red works better. The UV/blacklight LEDs work in the VW/914 gauges like I guessed they would. I already installed a resistered set of blue LEDs in the 914, looks good. There is a noticable difference in brightness between 6000 mcd and 10,000 mcd.
I also solved the socket problem for the VW/914 gauges, so now its a easy modification to the stock sockets, plus they are cheap on www.pelicanparts.com, I think they are around a dollar each.
On my bike I hooked up some UV LEDs for liscense plate light and the do make the plate glow very bright but it's a purplish color which is illegal, so I'm going to put in a push button switch that will turn the UV LEDs off and turn on white LEDs while riding. (doesn't make it go faster but girlies will dig it). I'm still a few days off from having some pics developed. Zen if you want I'll pic up some sockets from either pick-n-pull or Bug-O-Rama and you let me know what color LEDs you want and I'll see about having a set for you when you come to NorCal in a couple of weeks.

Nick
Old September 10th 2004, 00:48

I have a update for all you LED Heads(bad joke, I know). I finally got the correct Regulator and installed, I modified the original circuit to power the LEDs in parrallel as opposed to strings of 3. VW and Porsche power their incadesent bulbs in parrallel so that makes the most sence to do it that way. So far I have a half hour of running time, 11 UV LEDs in parrallel, constant 30mA, 16vdc input, and when I drop the input to 12vdc the current stays exactly the same. The only down side I can see is the more LEDs I add the more current it draws, so I have to adjust the poteniometer as I add and subtract LEDs.
I'm going to borrow a digi-cam this weekend and hopefully figure out how to photograph the color/guage combos for the tech article. I'll also draw up a schematic of the circuit for all you Do It Yourselfers, and a link to a resister calculator for those that are content with using just resistors.
For now I'm going to leave the LEDs on for a life test over night just to make sure nothing gets too hot and smokes. I am really happy with the results. Just to give you an idea of the costs, I built the limiter circuit for under 5 bucks. R&D costs are another story, I know I smoked over 30 dollars worth of LEDs.

Nick
Old September 10th 2004, 04:58

LED Calculator:

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/68/

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old September 16th 2004, 21:02

When I do the Tech article it will be done properly and that will take some time to do. I got a lot of changes happening with a upcoming new job, and a move so time is not on my side. So I'd like to appologize to anyone waiting for it.

Nick