GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 26th 2002, 12:12

Suspension 101

My GL project (‘72 SB) is underway on three fronts: the chassis/suspension, the motor and the body. I hope to complete the sandblasting of the chassis this week and begin overhauling the suspension. Where would I find information on what I should be replacing at this point? I’d like to rebuilt both the front and rear and uprate it. I’m capable of the work but don’t yet know what needs to be done. Can anyone point me to a book or other resource that will enable me to uprate to a high performance strut suspension? Also, what is the best option for lowering the car? I don’t wish to lower for mere looks but for superior handling. What do I need to consider here? Thanks ...

Jeannot
Old August 26th 2002, 19:49

http://www.toplineparts.com/frameset.html should help you with the overhaul. You can also get coilovers from them. If you need more info, I reccommend calling. John is one of the nicest people you'll talk to. Your upgrades are all what you want to spend. You could go all the way up to H&R if you want an all out race spring or keep a smooth ride with the Topline. I hear alot of people say "the OVERPRICED H&R spring", but they are forgetting it is a race setup designed and handbuilt by the leading suspension manufacturer in the world. Nothing against anyone else, but you really can't compare. You could also go with a full coil-over set-up as the one on the S.B. on the Topline site. He's running Carrera (not the Porsche) full race coil-overs on all fours. Lots-o-dough. So it all depends what you want to spend. $400-$3000. I also remember seeing coilovers on the old GL site. I think Superman could help you out with the name. JJJ Designs maybe? Upgrade your swaybars. Add one in the rear. The Topline strut tie-bar is one of the best investments I've made. I reccommend that. If you can, go for a Kafer cup style ti-bar for the rear. It'll tie your rear suspension together and your framehorns which means more traction. Once you start stiffening, you're sacrificing ride quality. Keep that in mind also.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones

Last edited by lightning bug; August 26th 2002 at 19:56.
Old August 26th 2002, 19:59

Lightning Bug
from what I understand the JJDesign struts were the original design that Superman had for the Maxx Struts before he gave his design to John at TopLine.

Jeannot
I would go the Maxx Struts (from Topline) for the street! & use one of their alumnum front strut tower bars too.

For a 72 SB the Maxx struts will lower your car between 2" -5" in half inch increments plus offer you a firmer ride. They use GTI springs I believe & allow the use of 7" - 7.5" wide rims under stock fenders (using the correct backspacing of course)

As far as the rear strut tower brace that can be purchased from Custom Speed Parts

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old August 27th 2002, 18:31

Vujade

Ahhhhh. I see. Thanks

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones