GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 26th 2002, 12:55

Disc, disc.

My GL project (‘72 SB) is underway on three fronts: the chassis/suspension, the motor and the body. I hope to complete the sandblasting of the chassis this week and begin overhauling the suspension. I need to soon decide on lowering and discs as well as wheels. What do I need to consider (besides $s) when making a brake choice?

Jeannot
Old August 26th 2002, 19:18

I would say to base your braking on the output of your engine. For example, you wouldn't need 996 TT brakes for a 1600 D.P. Figure out what engine you're using and go from there.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old August 27th 2002, 09:15

I would think for most applications, the standard Solid Disc brake kits would do fine. I have Topline's disks up front and good drums at the rear and it stops fine.

For a more agressive engine than my 1600 with headers and webers, i'd go with disks all around.

If you're looking for a lot of stopping power, then you can work on collecting parts for a 944 brake conversion. You will have to convert to a late suspension, though.

There's alo the Kerscher (CSP) kit, which looks pretty nice to me if you dont want to convert your suspension or if you dont have patience.

Then there's my favorite system, which I'll probably convert to one of these days, if I get a T4 that can really put the power down. Remmele had a 996 Brake Kit that Aircooled.net sells. You send in spindles and they machine them to use the Remmele kit. It's also a pretty expensive kit, and dont even ASK about the kit for all 4 corners

That's the way I see things. There are people out there who know more thn me when it comes to brakes, and I'm sure they'll chime in.

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen