GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 23rd 2006, 21:20

Type 4 Temperatures

Hey.

I was going through the forums trying to find some info on average head temps for a type 4. The closest answers I found were regarding a temp sending unit at the #3 spark plug and that a sending unit anywhere else would be innacurate, but what about a temp sender on the threaded port on the top of the head? I'd imagine the temps would still be pretty accurate, since the port was stock from VW (1700 heads). Am I wrong? If so, what would the avg temps be, then?

So, two more quick questions. But first, a little info about my engine to clarify:

It is a 2056cc T4 (71x96), 1700 heads (42x36); DTM fan shroud, dual 44IDF Weber carbs. Running high octane, with Castrol 10w40 Synthetic ( I think-- can't remember exactly right now and the car is at my dad's in SoCal)

So, what should avg oil pressure numbers be? (at idle/tick-over/under load/idle after warm-up)

Also, what should the avg oil temps be? (after regular driving/idle/etc)

I can never find any solid answers on this sort of stuff, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DAVID MANN
Old September 24th 2006, 00:52

I have a 2056 with a DTM running on 93 octane. The other particulars are little different. I have had for two weeks.

I have all four cylinders monitored. It is my understanding most go with #3 because it is the most susceptible to running hot and most do not want to run four gauges. (I have a Westach quad gauge.) If I am wrong about that, someone will chime in.

My #1 and #2 cylinders have never been over 290ºF yet. The highest my #3 has registered was 320ºF, and 310ºF is the highest for my #4. Those temps haven't been duplicated since my return trip from Georgia to Maryland.

I took my 90-year old dad for a 45-minute spin. He was a one-time moonshine runner who always had a thing for cars and racing. I had my Super up to 75 MPH in third on the highway, and leveled off at 85. I wasn't sure where the local enforcers were and I wanted to exercise the car on back roads as well.

My temps on this jaunt peaked at 260º/260º/300º/290º.

I have heard anything from 350º to 400º has the being max. (Some gauges only go to 360º which seems counter-intuitive to me. Mine go to 700º.)

I have seen different theories and formulas for oil pressure so I will leave that to others.

I have heard oil temps should never exceed 220ºF to 260ºF, depending on the source of the info and sometimes depending on whether the oil is synthetic or not. (I have heard synthetics can have a higher max and I have heard synthetics can handle the max better. I'm not sure if these statements are in conflict with each other or both are mutually applicable. I am just the messenger here; not the expert.)
Old September 24th 2006, 10:19

i have a RAT 2316 running 9.7:1 on 93 octane with 2.0 liter heads at 44x38 under a DTM v1. i monitor #1 and #3 with spark plug sensors into a dual Westach. in city and highway i average about 235-240. under load i will get to 250. the hottest i have gotten them is about 265. this seems to be low compared to most i have talked to though.

oil temps average 205. i have never had them about 225-230. remember, load makes head heat, RPMs make oil temp.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old September 25th 2006, 07:28

Interesting you monitor cylinder #1 as it is my coolest one. I'm not too worried about my CHT's as I have to be going at it for quite a while to reach 300. Yours seems lower than most.

I am a little concerned about my oil temps, however. Although I didn't have to stop twice like others convoying to Toccoa (before meeting up with you), I do not like those temps near the upper limit under any situation.

I have a little spring fix that was suggested to me. It is possible some oil never sees the cooler.

I suspect I am going to need some sort of auxiliary cooler and/or sump. We'll see. If I do, I am going to have to investigate what to get and where to put it.
Old September 25th 2006, 08:40
Administrator

I've got a 2.0 turbo T4 and my head temps run about 280F to 300 F cruising and about 330f to 360F when I'm really on it. I monitor head temps at all 4 sparkplugs through a datalogger.

Sandeep
Old September 25th 2006, 08:48

Hello Sandeep

what type and brand of datalogger do you use for your application? I'm really interested on something similar

JIMP
Old September 25th 2006, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
I've got a 2.0 turbo T4 and my head temps run about 280F to 300 F cruising and about 330f to 360F when I'm really on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
oil temps average 205. i have never had them about 225-230. remember, load makes head heat, RPMs make oil temp.
Just read this again for informational osmosis to take effect. Coupling this with Sandeep's response, I would assume him having a turbo is causing load.

Getting back to oil temps, I would love 200, 210 max. It takes quite a while for my oil temps to get to 200, but high speed highway driving over some distance has gotten me to 220-225. As I said, I will try the quick fix with the spring but I won't be penny-wise and dollar-foolish about taking other steps.

(BTW, my set-up is much more mild-mannered. I believe my engine is set up at an 8.3:1 compression ratio and is naturally aspirated.)
Old September 27th 2006, 12:14

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the help guys! We got my car back on the road after 5 years and kind of forgot what the ideal temps should be We ran into (again) the problem of figuring out the accuracy of the Autometer Ultra-Lite gauges I bought and installed in 2001, and weren't sure if the temps we were reading were something to worry about or not... Even so, I might just replace the guages with VDO, since even after 5 years Autometer still hasn't made their gauges truly import-compatible, or at least made a line for cars other than Ford or Chevy....

WipEout
Old September 27th 2006, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
(BTW, my set-up is much more mild-mannered. I believe my engine is set up at an 8.3:1 compression ratio and is naturally aspirated.)
That's about where mine's at, too! I forget my CR exactly, but It is somewhere around 8:1, give or take a tenth...