GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 27th 2006, 19:14

Help with funny noise!?!

Hello all!!

I am having this really weird noise coming from my engine compartment.

Here's the scenario...

When the engine starts up it sound fine, runs fine and feels good (runs normal). Then maybe about 15 minutes of highway driving I hear this odd rattling noise?(takes a little bit more time when I'm driving in the city but I still hear the same noise). It sounds like sheet metal tapping against each other, but here are the weird things about this noise.

If I let off the gas pedal a bit, the noise quiets a bit. When I barely push the clutch in, just enough to engage the throw out bearing, the noise completely stops?

If it were the throw out bearing wouldn't the noise get louder if I were to push in the clutch? And if it were sheet metal rubbing against each other, why would lightly pressing the clutch stop the noise

Thanks everybody for your help!
Clint:agree:

Hopefully Soon!!
Back home in Port Orchard, and saving for the Bug
Old September 28th 2006, 13:38

It's been so long since I've been around a VW engine that I couldn't say about internals. What I can suggest, however, is to check the simple things first. If it sounded like the cool tin, it could very well have been. You should check to make sure all your tin screws are fastened down tight-- sometimes if they aren't the vibration of the motor can work them loose. I heard a rattling noise in my old 1776 once and found that it was a tin screw boucing all over the engine compartment.

That's the first thing that comes to my mind, though-- something could be loose. Especially since the car feels fine when driving, even after you hear the noise...

Probably not much help, but I hope that's all it is....

DM
Old September 28th 2006, 22:36

Mine had a similar noise. My noise sounded like a high pitched grinding that would go away when you pressed in on the clutch. Drove me nuts. It wasn't until the it broke down that I found the problem. The noise I was hearing was the clutch. The throw out bearing had been installed incorrectly by the PO. It ended up wearing against the diaphragm of the pressure plate until the pressure plate failed and the bearing went right thru it.
Old September 29th 2006, 02:44

I would suspect the throw out bearing. it has got an 'inner sleeve' and an 'outer sleeve'(cant find a better way describing it so early in the morning). Now, as the bearing works and wears out a little, these tolerences can get a bit loose. So the two sleeves starts rattling against each other. When you let the clutch engage, you put force on it and the tolerences/slack is temporarily taken up, cause the rattling to stop.

I had the same kind of problem, albeit on a Renault Scenic(diesel). I initialy thought it's the throwout bearing too. Long story short, the gearbox completely died. No oil inside! I was wondering how the heck that was possible, as a gearbox doesnt realy USE oil. Turns out that a small seal on the gearbox was just leaking enough oil to drip-drip-away while riding, and it never left a stain on the ground So obviously when I got to know about it, it was too late.

I however dont think this is your problem, but I would suggest that when you pull the motor to get the things replaced, check the gearbox seals while you have the time and space, just to make sure.
Old October 5th 2006, 16:00

Thanks!!

Yeah I think I'll check out my sheet metal screws back there first. Then as the weekend rolls around, or I have a second pair of hands, I'll drop the engine and replace the throw out bearing!!

Thanks for the replies and if anybody else has any suggestions please post!!
Clint:agree:

Hopefully Soon!!
Back home in Port Orchard, and saving for the Bug