GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old March 27th 2003, 11:29

While we're on the subject of safety.....

........ I found it odd that VW Trends editor Ryan, would write an article on his street racing experience and how enjoyable it was and how he'd do it again. Don't get me wrong, I've went toe-to-toe, stoplight to stoplight. I just found it funny how a major magazine editor would publish this with no disclaimer even. Any thoughts?

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old March 27th 2003, 15:54

Yeah, "odd" and "funny" are a good choice of words for me, too.

On one hand, it's rather refreshing to get something other than the same ol' same-old -- like Lois's latest drivel about "Vernon." Then again, to in effect say, "Hey, everybody. I'm irresponsible and proud of it," is a bit tough to take. As you said, most people have their own street stories to tell. Usually, it's couched with some disclaimer.

(I actually didn't read it to the end. It sounded too much like someone describing just how drunk he/she was once upon a time. Zzzzzzz.)

I also notice they are always taking shots at the "other" magazine. (Those infidels!) Typically, it is in the form of a letter or e-mail from one of their long-time loyal readers. The most recent barb was aimed at the former Kafer Dave who defected to that bastard "other" rag. Supposedly, this renegade wouldn't even grunt for a reply to Mr. Incensed while some doodle from VW Trends was prepared to spend a weekend answering all of the questions he could muster.

Maybe Hot VWs does it, too. I don't keep score. I like both mags for what they are. I prefer mags from the UK more even if I have to pay a premium when I can find them. (I just bought the April Volks World today.) I wish other countries would print their mags in English, and I wish the stateside mags would be willing to have more variety. (They have been willing recently to some degree -- but I want to see a pattern of variety before I upgrade my opinion.)

Perhaps, their odd commentary is just an awkward beginning to try and say or be something different. Now, if only their editor would do some editing...

-René

Last edited by oasis; March 27th 2003 at 16:03.
Old March 27th 2003, 16:20

WOW. I thought I was the only one that noticed the bad editing. I guess you could say the article was at a different pace than the same 'ol same 'ol. But I don't think its exactly the best way to go.

Old March 27th 2003, 18:08

I think the editor of VWTrends is a boob & Im not too crazy about Volkswoman either.

I am definitely in the opinion that the European Mags have it going on. VWTrends & hot vws could definitely learn a few things from those euro guys.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old March 27th 2003, 18:28

I've let my subscriptions expire on both mags and I've finally weened myself from purchasing them at the local grocery store. Why you ask, cause I'm tired of the same old thing, converting to ghia front discs, how to lower a IRS rearend, rewiring your '67...
I need to break down shell out the 50 bucks for a subscription to VolksWorld. Down under the have some decent VW magazines, when I was in the service and stopped down there I always made it a point to pick up everyone that I'd find.

Nick
Old March 27th 2003, 19:30

Something I found out the other day, the local G'store has VW scene on the rack, never seen it before. Reis and german looks, very interesting.
948 project
Old March 27th 2003, 22:57

Yeah, I was a little put off by the article also. I expect to see an article like that in SCC or the like, but not in VWT.

Honestly, I don't read any articles but the features, sometimes the tech, and this goes for HVW's also. I just like to look at pretty pictures If a subscription to Volksworld wasn't $80, I'd get it.

But, my new periodical vice is "excellence". My Dad got a subscription for Xmas. It's good stuff. I also pick up "Performance VW" from time to time. If I could find the Euro ACVW mags in stores, i'd get them in a heartbeat.

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old March 27th 2003, 23:25

I'd like to get a subscription to Volksworld also, but the price... I get European Car, Grassroots Motorsports and Trends. Love the first two, but I'm starting shy away from Trends. I still like it, but not as much as I used to. Haven't picked up Hot VW's in a long time. Excellence is just what its called. I'll pick one up every once-in-while. Great mag. Vujade said it.... Euro mags have it going on. The books in the States have to wake up and see that there are other options out there other than the one's we all are used to. The thing is, people have been modifying these cars GL style for a long time. Who knows.... Someday I guess. We should come up with our own magazine!! Wonder what it involves. Probably too much to handle. Ahhhhhh to dream. :silly: Cool thing though... Ryan said he seized his turbo while doing a burnout, of all things, before he went home, at night I'm assuming b/c you know these "events" aren't held in the day. Neighbors must've loved that. Too bad the fuzz didn't show. Probably wouldn't have made the mag though. I wonder who would edit then? Kafer Dave makes a cameo????

Old March 28th 2003, 00:08

Im definitely missing volksworld, Borders used to stock it, and they haven't for 3 mos, going through withdrawls!

Anybody know a place around portland, or that sells it?
Old March 28th 2003, 04:03

Well if I have said it once I will say it again, the US VW mags could definitely learn a few things from our Euro friends.

Its not just the facts that you see more variety as what is put into their mags, but also the quality of the content & the layout too, Not to mention the quality of the paper & ink too they use too.

When I pick up a US Mag and look thru them, it reminds me of something out of the 70's or 80's. Nothing of it says youthful.
They are definitely catering to an older croud. Especially with all the Resto-custom / "Cal Look" features.

Here is my list of 5 fresh tech articles I would likt to see in the US mags:

1. Installing Porsche Brakes on your VW
2. Installing a Porsche 5 speed tranny
3. Installing a Kafer Cup Brace
4. Adapting large diameter wheels
5. Adapting 944 Trailings Arms/Springplates

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old March 28th 2003, 09:10

I've been subscribing to Volks World for 2 years now, loved every issue and worth every penny. Sooooooo much better than the us rags. Signed up right on their web site.

Current vice is 911 & Porsche world, even has column by Keith Summe (sp?)
948 project
Old March 28th 2003, 10:01

Its 'Seume'..

http://www.vw-speed.de/ is a great mag too, nice to look at the pictures, even if I can't read the words!
Old March 29th 2003, 20:24

Definitely worth a look

A friend showed this vid to me.......................

http://www.teammotorcity.com/videos/...EET_RACING.mov