GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 25th 2002, 03:22
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Talking Engines!

Hi dudes!

I'm happy to moderate also this forum and I try to do that, as often as I can. I've read in the description, that also watercooled plants are discussed, for my part, I have to shorten it to the VW Waterboxer, as these conversions are the only ones, that make sense for me. I would'n do rabbit engine conversions or Alfa, but they are common here in Germany. The Type 1 and Type 4 engine conversions 'n tuning is my main deal, so feel free to ask all what you want to know!
Old July 31st 2002, 14:36
TitoRay

Well, I have a question. If someday I plan on converting to a T-4 motor in my bug, how difficult will it be in terms of engine mount mods and so on? Also, do you recommend buying a used block and rebuilding or purchasing a "new" block and build from there?
Old August 1st 2002, 04:32

I recommend...

...using an old engine or a new case and start from the very beginning is for me a question of what you want to build. Normal engines, like the 1,7-2,0l engines up to rates of 130-140HP are nothing spectacular and you can use every old engine you find. After propper overhauling and using the right ingredients, you can have fun for years with your "used" engine.

When you plan on building a real top-of-the-tops engine and you want to use all the best goodies, try to find as much new parts as you can, but even then, an old case, that hasn't been in harsh use can be a good start for such an engine. There are some quality differences in cases, that you can get new now and the ones, that exist from the late 60's to the early seventies.

Modding the mounts for your new engine depends also on what you want to have. In most cases, simple modifications, same as done on the Type 1 conversions are useful and exactly that what you need. It depends also, how you want to use the engine. The spectrum is wide spreaded, but be sure, what you want to have, then I can help you how to mod your mounts!
Old August 1st 2002, 16:35

Thumbs up

You might want to pop over to ShopTalk Forum's Type 4rum (http://shoptalkforums.com/).

That's all these guys do; drop T-IV's into T-1/2/3's, and the solutions required.

Old August 2nd 2002, 03:26

Unhappy ....

That's what we do here, too. Sure, the Type 4rum is really nice, but informations are given here, too!

For myself, I can show you common German ways... ...and you're not one of hundreds threads here!
Old August 2nd 2002, 04:47

subaru overhead cam heads to a vw motor

i have been searching high and wide and have come up empty on all fronts. so i will try again, by any chance do you guys and gals have any information about putting subaru heads on a vw flat four engine, yes i know some dont like it, but its just an interest that i have. thanks for any help, chris
Old August 5th 2002, 04:12

Post ....

Hm, I've seen the Kerscher conversion with 16-valve-heads on waterboxer-engines, hard stuff. Same is with the so called "overfly" heads from Holzapfel. He uses 911 heads, 2-valve, cutted in half and welded together, cams in heads, belt driven and powerful for a Type 4. In the late 60's and early 70's an engineer called Ludwig Apfelbeck build overcam heads and different designed heads on either the Type 1 and the Type 4. HP ranges in the 100HP per 1000cc's class. Excellent for these times. I'll try to picture some construction sheets, as far as this board accepts the picture upload system.
Old August 5th 2002, 07:30

Rouser,

I am pretty sure that you can get all the info you need in this forums as well.
I think having the chance to talk to other competent engine builders that know the field so well is a huge benefit for those seeking advice.

Alex
Old August 5th 2002, 21:50

Unhappy Sorry ...

... was just offering a website recommendation to someone living in The Colonies.

Wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes/forum.

Bye.

Old August 6th 2002, 04:36

hey thanks guys, i appreciate the replies. just by you folks replying i have probally gotten more info here than from any other place or time.
Old August 6th 2002, 15:13

Hi Oliver, good to see you here!
Old August 13th 2002, 22:46

Water boxer cases

Recently a friend of mind mention this waterboxer to AC conversion to me and I am facinated, by the idea. What needs to be done to take a waterboxer to AC? Is it best to use the stock crank for High HP situations? What are the biggest pistons one can use? Do you use Type 4 pistons? Type 4 heads? Six bolts to hold the head on? Thanks

Chas
Old August 14th 2002, 04:58

I recommend a forged Oettinger or a Scat crank with counterweights for such conversions. You can use remachined Type 4 cylinders or Limbach cylinders (97mm bore, aircooled, German air-technique), even conversions with 101,6mm were seen here. Heads can be get from Limbach (hardenend Type 1 style) with the correct bolt-pattern or you can get fresh casted Street or Competition Eliminators from CB, to get max power out of the engine.
You have to machine away the cooling stuff and even a Type 1 cooling is working with high modifications. At least a good Porsche-style cooling will help!

More?
Old August 14th 2002, 17:12

You can go to ShopTalk Forum's Oxyboxer Page (once they relocate their server and are back up), or contact Strictly German Autowerks and have them slice you up a longblock.

Old August 14th 2002, 23:57

oliver any luck finding those pick about the overhead cam conversion for a vw motor. if your interested, keep an eye on a company named ln engineering. there designer shad laws is currently designing a overhead dohc cam conversion for the type four motor. probally will be out in two years or less.