GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old November 2nd 2004, 14:14

Source for painted door/hood handles?

Anyone know a source for OEM black door and hood handles for a '68+ Beetle? I was going to order them from BeetleMex, but I heard they are no longer in business.
Old November 2nd 2004, 15:35

I have two BeetleMex black door handles that I am not going to use. I just got a set of 993/Beetle door handles from Carotta. PM me if you are interested and I will try to see how much I have in them. As an aside, when I ordered these from BeetleMex they shorted me two windshield washer tank units that they charged to my credit card. They shined me on for about three months, then started telling me that the person that answered the phone did not speak English, then disconnected. Be glad they are gone and you missed them. According to my credit card company, I was not alone.

Thanks,

Randy
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old November 15th 2004, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafer_Mike
Anyone know a source for OEM black door and hood handles......
So the question still remains. Or maybe I need to ask it a bit different. Im in the market for new bumpers hood / door handles and want to paint them the same color as the car will be painted. Is there a way to "de-chrome" the pieces or like Mike asked, is there anyplace that sells them in just a flat black? TIA.

Im new and I love this site. you guys have some of the baddest (is that a word?) looking cars Ive seen. :agree:
Old November 26th 2004, 20:15

De-chroming requires hardcore processes. It's good enough to just sand really well or sandblast to roughen the surface, then paint with self-etching primer, then prime/paint as usual.

For black painted OEM Mexican handles, try www.chrisvolkswagen.com. I've got Mexican build parts from them in the past, but you still have to blast, etch, etc to color match, so stick with your german stuff - it's made better.

If you repaint, be sure to remove the tumbler from the door handles before blasting/painting -- easier to keep clean. Wrap it in tape immediately after removal to keep the little slide thingys from falling out and messing up your keyage (been there...). It's a simple puzzle to fix, but you'd rather be doing your GL than puzzles, right?