GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 15th 2005, 10:20

An Introduction of myself and some other questions...

How's it going. I'm Nate. I recently purchased a 71 Super. Currently, it's not being driven as I'm replacing the blown 1600 with a fresh one, BUT, I'm currently buying parts to build towards a 2332 daily driver. I WAS going to do motor first, suspension next, until I really sat down and thought about my past experiances. If I build the suspension 1st, end result is a 100% funner car, which 9/10 ends up being better than planned. And I'll have more fun until my motor build is complete

I came from the rice scene:

http://importfighter.iwarp.com

That site is about 3 years old, I've grown A TON since that, and was an ignorant douche then (fresh out of high school). Car was basically a rolling billboard. That was my 1st car. After getting some help from companies, I built up a Turbo Civic for autoX and to be my daily driver. 89 Hatchback, swapped a ZC motor (Basically an 89 integra motor with better internals), a Greddy SOHC turbo kit, and a 65 shot of juice. Motor was built. Put me into the high-mid 12's.

It was a great car with a completely new suspension with 26mm swaybars front and rear, upper and lower subframe braces, front and rear strut bars high and low. And FULL Tien coilover suspension with camber plates. It handled great...was a great car, but it's still just a Civic.

Sold both of those and got into Motorcycle racing. Bought an R6 and starting modding that and doing some trackdays....until an incident (not accident :-D) came up and forced me to sell it.

So I bought the beetle because I read everywhere it had better handling characteristics. I LOVE twisties. And besides, anybody can push a gas pedal in a fast car...

So basically, I'm not a noob when it comes to the parts, physics and mechanics aspect, but a TOTAL NOOB when it comes to the beetle. Which brings me to my questions

Converting my brakes over, are the 944NA hubs the same as 944T hubs? I'm getting the kit from vdubcustoms and was concerned whether or not they're different. Thinking if they're not, just alleviate everything and MAYBE get thier billet hub.

I noticed that they have a dropped spindle kit for the CB spindles. Do you know if it HAS TO BE A CB dropped disc spindle or can it be ANY dropped disc spindle? Would it really matter considering the mounting points are the same? Or is it that thier CNC machine already has a template for the CB spindle?

Thanks for your guys' time!

Last edited by oicdn; May 15th 2005 at 10:24.
Old May 16th 2005, 17:57

Welcome on the site mate.

Keep up the good work

Wiebrand
Old May 16th 2005, 20:33

welcome to the vw scene and welcome to the germanlook.
you will find the people alot more helpful in this scene then the one
you came from I am sure..

any questions you have regarding your brake conversion, you should
direct towards Lanner from VDubCustoms. He is more then helpful and will
guide you with everything you need for the conversion (that is if you plan
on buying his kit)

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old May 16th 2005, 22:01

This sounds like one of those AA meetings but that sounds like my story exactly only about 10 years ago. so i know first hand what you are going through. i had been on the ccs and wera circuit for a few years . and had gotten good enough to have some sponsor backing and contengent programs. But with some help from Road Atlanta (turn 2 ) my family ,and girlfriend (now my wife ) i was out of the sport in my prime. i have regretted it for many years . With all that behind me i now know i m alot safer and happier with my GL VW , my wife ,and little girl (16 Months) .if you care to know anymore send me a pm i will tell all. about the accident and other stuff.
Old May 17th 2005, 21:00

Thanks for the warm reply guys.....once I start getting things in order, I'll take lots of pics...should be fun!
Old May 19th 2005, 04:02
Superman

Welcome :agree: