GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old June 10th 2022, 02:10

Nice work, have you driven it yet, must be a blast
Old June 10th 2022, 05:07

Wouh!!

Really nice car.
Can you possibly post an audio recording?
Would like to hear the sound of the exhaust.
Possibly also driving?

Thank you.

STi powered Typ4 in the works...
R.I.P. 1302/'72
Old June 12th 2022, 00:13

I’m still doing some initial shakedown but it is clearly going to be a completely different car than before. I’m really happy with the power level as 150hp and all the Subaru torque really pulls the car along. Here is a short video-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeoOBkYt2qz/?hl=en
Old June 13th 2022, 07:24

Thank you.

Sounds really good.
Have fun with the beautiful babe.
Hopefully with little to no problems.

STi powered Typ4 in the works...
R.I.P. 1302/'72
Old June 15th 2022, 21:46

I'm getting ready to replace the long block in my turbo Forester and I've considered doing a similar swap in the future. I didn't realize you're here in Washington, I'm in the Yelm area.
Old August 15th 2022, 15:28

Well so far I have about 300 miles on the Beetle. It has been pretty hot in the PNW and I was experiencing higher coolant temps then I was really comfortable with. The car would climb up to 210 when in traffic and the fan wasn't powerful enough to get it back down near 195 which is where the subaru ecu shuts the electric fan back off. I decided to nearly double my CFM of the radiator fan and revised a new fan shroud with rubber flaps that should open at highway speeds but close when the fan is running. I also redesigned my 3d printed intakes in front of the Kamei spoiler to get more direct force fed air while driving at higher speeds. This all seems to have done the trick and she stays plenty cool now even in hot weather. I have mostly been working on finishing the interior at this point, still need to do carpet, seat upholstery etc. The latest fab project is a rear seat "delete." I like the way the rear seat looks but I dont plan on ever having any passengers. I have been building this box to go in the same place, allow a bit more clearance than the actual seat to the backs of the recaro's and also function as a storage space for tools, access to battery etc.

"
Old August 17th 2022, 05:08

Absolutely love how this car has turned out. Stunning.
Old February 3rd 2023, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Bandito View Post
Absolutely love how this car has turned out. Stunning.
Thank you!

I finished my rear seat delete/compartment and have been using it for a couple months. It is very handy and allows me to story my toolbox and other items so they aren't floating around the car. I also have built my own steering wheel. I started with a 914 steering wheel that looked like it came from the bottom of a lake. That didn't matter for me as i just needed the metal frame. My inspiration was the early steering wheels in late 60's 911's with the batwing horn button. I like these steering wheels a lot but I wanted a smaller diameter hence the 914 starting point. I laminated many layers of veneer mahogany to make 2 blanks for the front and backside. Lots of routing of different radii of the outside dimensions as well as a groove for the metal ring of the steering wheel. Some stain, powdercoat, and satin finish and I have something that I am extremely happy with. The batwing style horn button was a lot of work, with many individual pieces welded together and filed smooth.

I believe the most important parts of any car are the points that a driver comes directly in contact with. The seats, the steering wheel, the shifter, and the pedals being the highest priority. This was a fun project to make something a bit more special than what was available off the shelf.

Old February 3rd 2023, 17:48
Administrator

That steering wheel is fantastic. Well, the whole car is.

Geesh. We're 270 miles apart, we really should get together this year.
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old February 6th 2023, 03:58

woah, killer job on that steering wheel!
Old February 6th 2023, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
That steering wheel is fantastic. Well, the whole car is.

Geesh. We're 270 miles apart, we really should get together this year.
Lets do it Dave!
Old March 31st 2023, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72marinablue View Post
Well this place is pretty empty these days but I figured I should post some pictures anyway. After many years I am almost done. So many modifications too much to list. If anyone here is on instagram feel free to send me a message on there @forrest__davis

Nice work! Always interesting to see how to incorporate the radiator in a discreet way!
Old October 26th 2023, 13:00

I think Dave keeping his threads alive has inspired me-

Earlier this summer I wrapped up the interior of the car. I purchased my own bulk square weave carpet and made my own carpet kit. I used vinyl as my binding and broke out my 1950 singer sewing machine.

I was also able to work in my buddies upholstery shop down the street and got my first go at some real upholstery work sewing a cover for my back seat that matches my door panels.

I made a speaker tray for the rear to cover my heater and associated engine wiring/ecu. I also inset 2 cool vintage ads speakers but currently don't have any pictures.

I was pretty annoyed with my walbro fuel pump situation. It was located below the tank on the shelf in-front of the passenger footwell. It had issues during the summer when it was hot and the fuel level was low, causing the pump to get too hot as its cooled using the fuel it flows. It was also annoying and loud. The best style pump is really an in-tank setup for fuel injection cars as the pump sits in the fuel and this helps it maintain temperature and keeps it quiet. I also think I was having aeration issues as the fuel was returning into the tank at a less then ideal location. Ive learned since that the return line should dump fuel under the fuel level, this helps keep aeration to a minimum.

I decided to build my own in-tank setup as I didn't like the aesthetic of the aftermarket options. I already had a baffle in the tank so I used this same location but made my own holder utilizing a factory subaru denso pump. I struggled to find a wiring passthrough that would keep the fuel sealed into the tank, and ultimately purchased a fuel lab hermetic unit that has worked great but was a bit expensive.

I did a few aesthetic upgrades as well since I have been content with my cooling package. I remade my radiator surround, it is painted body color now. I also painted a few 3d printed items including my front radiator intakes as previously they were raw plastic.

Other than that I have really been enjoying driving the car. I have taken it to a few events, and recently took it up a local mountain pass that is a great twisty road. The Subaru engine really makes the car a joy to drive and pulling up the road in 4th gear on a steep slope feels so foreign after driving the car with 50hp for so long.

I am still hoping to add a subaru transaxle to the mix as I would love to drop the cruising rpm's. I have a donor transaxle ready to go but am waiting for the right financial opportunity to purchase a r&p setup from subarugears.

Hope everyone has great workshop plans for the winter.

Forrest,
Old October 26th 2023, 13:36
Administrator

The build quality on this is phenomenal. Ugh. I really need to up my game!

(actually spending some time on my to-be-subaru-powered 1303 wouldn't be a terrible idea either...)

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old October 27th 2023, 03:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
The build quality on this is phenomenal. Ugh. I really need to up my game!
I can only second the above. You really are extremely crafty and seem to be able to do everything, even interior/upholstery!
Big kudos!!