GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old May 18th 2013, 07:45

In a few weeks i am getting my heads, this is new improved version of the billet head, intakeports are much better on this than on older version.

Also the case is almost ready from Todd at Precisionalloy, case is now at Roger Crawford for installation of bronze trhust bearing setup and porsche oilsquirters. Todd says that these newest batch of cases has some improvements over older ones.

Case will have different type of bronze thrust bearin setup, first bearing on 1st main web and second on 2nd main web, there is more metal left to the case then.

Heads

Old

New

Old August 15th 2013, 14:51

Got some valvetrain parts, JPM Ti retainers, Manley 48x38 117mm valves, Berg locks, 13/12mm guides.

Later JPM dual springs and seats, and then to the headporter.

Old September 8th 2013, 15:56

TF-1 case arrived with hoses, it looks so nice compared to autolinea cases. I checked the hoselenght to car and it seems there is enough for front oilcooler mount and drysump installation. BMW main bearings and bronze thrustbearing came with case. I did trial assembly with crank, cylinders and heads.

The camshaft, connecting rods and oil pump are still missing. I did order from demontweeks a 360x190 (5.7 liters) drysump tank with Mocal thermostat.

End play is pretty tight, about 0.05mm, i will have to sand a bit bronze bearings on the glass. Due to a TF-1 case through bolts and 4 "bore cylinders i had to take a little bit material from cylinders, and possibly to get smaller diameter washers under througbolts.

There was also problem with TF-1 and LN engineering / ARP headstuds, because TF-1 case has no provision for 3rd cylinder deepstud, and ARP kit has one deep stud like stock or normal performance studs.

I am also thinkin to make cad designed rear mount, because case has bus style rear mount.

Also ARP studs for type 1 nickies arent available any more. Todd Francis does not recommend the make the thread deeper - but no problem, fortunately Raceware has suitable equal lenght headstud set that is approved by LN Engineering and they also use them now.

Last edited by -Alex-; September 8th 2013 at 16:19.
Old September 8th 2013, 15:58

First i was lazy after posting this to finnish VW forum, so i translated this text with google translator:

Lohkokin already arrived with hoses, hienohan it is. Hoses seems perfectly adequate to get away and are really flexible teräspunosteflonletkuiksi. BMW main bearings and bronze päittäisvälyslaakerit block. I heaped a trial basis in the crankshaft, cylinders and lids with.

The camshaft, connecting rods and oil pump are still missing. 360x190 (5.7 liters) in size kuivasumppusäiliö ordered Mocalin with the thermostat.

End play pretty tight, about 0.05mm, will have to grind a bit päätymmäisiä bronze glass. TF-1 block through bolts and 4 "bore cylinders because had to take a dremel stuff and possibly lower sweepings through bolts.

LN Engineering kansipulttien with became a problem, because in three bowl long tiller bolt, Todd Francis does not recommend the thread to do deeper - no emergency, fortunately Racewarelta can be found in ST Engineering's recommended preferably suitable cover bolt kit and that the LN engineering using T1 and T4 engines, I understand that the ARP brought kansipulttien price time briskly.
Old September 8th 2013, 16:16

That looks as awesome as promising! Tnx for the update.
Old September 8th 2013, 16:26

Yeah, its a big leap compared year ago - more parts at the garage

Also, tinman/painter promised to get working again with beetle, after all normal collision repair etc. Now its time to concentrate with beetle, then A-group Volvo 240, then Ex-Biela Audi 80 supertouring...talk about work
Old September 27th 2013, 18:03

Last week i got from demontweeks a new moonshine tank and a Mocal thermostat. Also got one missing ARP stud from LN engineering

Old September 28th 2013, 03:28

Nice! What volume does it have?
Old September 28th 2013, 17:19

It is 1,5 gallon, total volume is around 9 liters.

http://www.ahfabrications.com/index....2trptbnbrbqum4
Old November 3rd 2013, 10:30

Soon i get my transaxle, berg 5-speed 091, it should be finished at week 45. I'll get berg custom mounts, since i will center the transaxle, otherwise it would sit 10mm off the center.

I might be in trouble with Mendeola A-arm suspension here in Finland, because it has welded spindles and i might need a document that tells its meant for beetle and most important, its factory made. Billet or Forged spindles would be nice.

No help from Kevin unfortunately anytime soon, but i might have source for special one piece spindles, or just use stock spindles and have made my own upper arms to correct caster and camber..

Allthough i do have also a sketch about the document..it is pretty simple and i could try it first.

Ok, these are things that i should worry when the car is running

Soon will have new Megasquirt MS3 based ECU, it has splash proof automotive aluminum box and 56pin automotive connector, unlike typical megasquirt MS3.

Also the relays are built in to the box and it has most if not all the MS3X features.

http://www.autotune.fi/tuote/370/atd...n-ohjainkortti

http://www.autotune.fi/tuote/69/ms-3-prosessori-moduli

Also getting two wasted spark VAG coils for twin plug heads

http://www.autotune.fi/tuote/623/syt...asteella-4-syl

Old November 3rd 2013, 11:14

Gearbox looks to have pretty stout gears!
Old December 23rd 2013, 18:37

We got some work done finally, installed Mendeola bulkhead, little rust repair work done and after all rustrepair work is done, rollcage will be tied from mendeola a-arm bulkhead to rear.

I did also recently sell my wilwood front 330x28 rotors, as their manufacturing was discontinued, i got 0,65kg lighter AP racing rotors with larger pcd with DS2500 pads all around.

I heard that mendeola is building over 500hp car with 6 inch wider mendeola suspension, sounds scary fast, and illegal here in finland Well at least mine has the best brakes for us small hp guys, only power only half of that..

Not exactly a rust free california car

Old December 30th 2013, 16:25

Done some more bodywork - all should be done in two - three weeks including gage, then after a month or so, paint will laid - two colors i am thinking:

Porsche wimbledon green (darker)

https://www.google.fi/search?q=porsc...ml%3B808%3B606

Porsche ocean jade metallic (lighter)

https://www.google.fi/search?q=porsc...w=1575&bih=750

Also rethinking to support torsionbar tubes by rollgage. I do have also coming a 5-bar käfer cup shock tower support like in a picture, built from kerscher3-bar system.

Last edited by -Alex-; December 30th 2013 at 16:50.
Old March 1st 2014, 14:44

Bodywork continues....not exactly a MAT standard, but good enough for me.

Will be smoothed and finished before paint.

Got a really bad rap about the work on Finnish VW forum from "Pro's"

Old May 18th 2014, 07:40

Sheetmetal work done more, just now left some small welding and rollgage. I got those inner panels from Avery's Aircooled, now the inside looks so clean.