GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 1st 2010, 18:35

Obiwan..

Saw those from the French company..

It looks like it has graduations for caster front to back, via the 4 bolts..

For camber its just elongated slots.. I would have preferred the other way around.. but thanks.. and something to keep in mind
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old May 5th 2010, 02:29

I saw those plates from the french company before but shipping to the US kills the deal. I think it was around $400 for the plates shipped which is outrageous the the plates from Jeffery's in Japan weren't any cheaper.

What I'm after is a bolt in design that requires no modification to the body, and gives a good amount of camber and caster adjustability. Getting the price below $200 for a set would be nice too.
Old November 29th 2010, 12:29

Those black French mounts look like they're for a 944, like the camber mount goes opposite what a bug would need to set camber. Anyone have any experience with the Jeffrey's ones (blue)? Considering getting a set of these. Just need to know how much camber I could dial in (maximum)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIT_REGLAGE_CHASSE_29.jpg (46.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01347.jpg (72.1 KB, 70 views)
Old November 29th 2010, 16:33

Just saw this too, universal plates.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2514wt_939
Old November 29th 2010, 21:07

Do a search on Rennlist or 944 forums. The mookee plates have had mixed reviews due to bearing quality.
While they are inexpensive I have some reservations about them.
But for the price not bad to try and experiment or use some of these pRts to make custom ones
VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old December 1st 2010, 08:18

Hi Guys!

I have had the same problem as all you guys , but chose a different path. me and my friend sat down and did som massive research about this and came to the conclution that there where no purposebuilt units for our beloved superbeetles. said and done we started up our cad tools to create this ourselves.

Our end product isn´t made out of cheap aluminum alloys from the far east, instead we chose to go local here in sweden, the worlds premium supplier of HIGH GRADE steel. to create our product. We are able to supply this product for you all, comes with all fastening hardware and may be slightly customized if you would like a bit more caster.

Our product is FEM-stability tested and fits the superbeetle perfect. Both pre 73 and later.

contact us via pm if you would be interested in buying high grade swedish craftmanship camberplates/topmounts.

Regards
Anders E / Dann W
Old December 2nd 2010, 07:46

Hi

Nice work Anders

I don't have any camber issues, slotting the inner control arm location will fix that.

The biggest problem I have is getting correct caster after the car is lowered.

Steve
Old December 2nd 2010, 20:42

Here a couple of photos of the ones I build my self with only hand tools.
I made a cardboard plate, transfer to the metal plate. Then with a $75 Sears bench drill I drilled a lot of side by side holes. Then smooth it with hand file tools. Finally weld some studs and little can paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000908.jpg (20.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1000910.jpg (27.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg P1000912.jpg (18.0 KB, 72 views)
Old December 2nd 2010, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

Nice work Anders

I don't have any camber issues, slotting the inner control arm location will fix that.

The biggest problem I have is getting correct caster after the car is lowered.

Steve
With my mix of 1302/1303,951 and Rabbit front suspension parts, my 1303 had a very positive caster. To correct it I hand build some plates that bolt at the front sway bar mounting points. I even incorporated some adjustment on it.
Old December 3rd 2010, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadewombat View Post
Those black French mounts look like they're for a 944, like the camber mount goes opposite what a bug would need to set camber. Anyone have any experience with the Jeffrey's ones (blue)? Considering getting a set of these. Just need to know how much camber I could dial in (maximum)?
the other side existing also...

here
Old December 5th 2010, 14:16

I've been back-burnering a set for many years, and one thing that should be noted is that the strut tops are not perpendicular in the chassis, so by just slotting between the mounting screws you'll be off axis and adjusting camber and caster dependently, which can be annoying.

i.e. angle defined below is not 90 degrees:

Ideally what is needed is a camber and castor adjustment that is independent. One of these days I'll get around to designing/building it

Lanner
Old June 22nd 2013, 16:28

Ah now I found this thread. So Lanner any movement on this idea?
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old June 22nd 2013, 17:48

Yes! My biggest hurdle has been to design the mount to be rubber isolated. I've got that figured out so I'm making a set for my 1302. For now, I can make them either for camber OR caster, not both. Further development for both will be after the testing. I'll keep you guys posted in about 4 weeks

Lanner
Old July 21st 2013, 16:00

Hey Lanner! Is it four weeks yet?
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old July 22nd 2013, 16:51

Acall for camber plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
Okay, here's the deal. I'm getting tired of not finding a good solution for adjustable camber plates in North America. If somebody has some I missed, point them out and I'll add them to the ultimate suspension thread. Why this is so important is that typically lowered supers use modified rabbit struts that had the top of the strut shaft machined to provide extra room for the super beetle strut bearing. This of course means that of the shelf or adjustable struts can't be simply swapped in. What I'm after is a bolt on part that will accept rabbit struts with out modification, so "off the shelf" struts can be used. If I can find a set of plates for less than $250 its a bonus.

Now for anyone with cad design skills I have a special request. If you can design a plate that adds at least 1* caster and has 2* or more of camber adjustment please get me the plans! I have access to a low/high volume manufacturing facility with fully automated machining/assembly capabilities as well as full anodizing in just about any alloy available. I could do as few as 10 sets or 100,000. If there's enough interest I may bankroll the first batch, so we wouldn't have to wait for a group buy.
Hey Humble not sure if these will accept off the shelf Rabbit struts but, I thought I would post you the link anyway regards Graham http://www.k-mac.com/pages/newprods/vw/vw.htm