GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 10th 2006, 10:19

2180cc and CB turbo kit. Advice?

The plan is: I allready have all the parts needed for complete the engine which uses mini D port heads.

Is there anyone who allready built something similar?

The CB turbo/injection kit is expensive but I assume it's also trouble free and ready to use. What do You people think about it? Saw something about MegaSquirt, but I'm not sure it's so easy to build. But it looks very cheap and clever...

Will those heads will be OK in this combination (8:1 comp. ratio), because I can't find much reviews about those heads. Will they run hot? How durable are they? I guess this is too much questions... Sorry bout that!

Thank's for all Your help guy's!
Old January 13th 2006, 07:42

Theory

Here's an idea. I think your engine will go pretty hard just being a big capacity with a turbo. You could simply start with some good, suitable castings like 044s or street eliminators. All you'd need to do is unshroud the valves in the camber, blend the valve seats into the port an matchport the manifolds. In essence just clean the heads up. Then put the engine together and see how it goes. That could be enough. Then if you need more performance, aside from winding up the boost, go and mini-D or oval port he heads then.

I'm going off to find out what a Mega Squirt is. Bye.

CYA
Old January 13th 2006, 11:43

hi there , i used to run a 2007 magnum 044 heads with cb hideaway turbo and fuel injection , great kit easy to use and to setup , the basic program is installed at cb and you have a panel with some trim pots to adjust it ,aftermarket injection kits such as megasquirt dta and emerald probably are more controlable but unless you have access to a rolling road and laptop and understand what you are doing can be difficult to setup, no idea about the heads
well thats my two cents
jon
zx7rr
Old January 14th 2006, 13:08

I have a friend here in jamaica that has a cb kit on his car and he is total disappointed with it. Its not intelligent, doesn't have ignition control. Also if you are running 92mm piston and sleeves don't run high boost the 92's are thin and will crack and leak boost. Try lowering your compression to 7 or 7.5 to 1.
Old January 15th 2006, 12:52

speedy

was yours the beautiful black ragtop bug at MAC?
if it was love that car!
Old January 16th 2006, 05:34

Well...
I've been thinking about using 90,5mm piston/cilinder setup instead of 92mm. Heard about thin cilinder walls problem before, I'm well aware of it. That "cilinder thing" is easy to solve, but CB injection kit seems more questionable now when speedy and bad bug have totally different opinions about it.

It costs 3.000 bucks, or 3600 if it has double injectors (I'm not sure why would I want double injectors, but OK). The question is: Is it worth buying or not?! Bob Tomlinson himself (the writer of turbocharging the bug bible) sent me a few mails after asking about kit on official CB mail adress. Said nothing about 92 mm pistons, except that i must run max. 8:1 comp. ratio, no more than that. And that kit does not include the muffler, but costs less than 100 bucks, so it's not a big problem...

Any more opinions about that kit??

Thank's speedy, bad bug and fullnoise, You've been helpful

Old January 16th 2006, 08:38

If you were to run 92mm piston and sleeves use lnengineerings nicasils. The eight injector system is so that you can run normally on the road without dumping alot of gas into the cylinders when you finally get on it the other injectors will come in. My friend here in Jamaica runs below 8:1 on his car i think it has to do with the quality of gas here, our highest octane fuel is 90. Run the 90.5 and have a trouble free engine.
Old January 16th 2006, 09:40

No problems with gas for me. 98 octane is available on pumps, and I can allways use octane improver additive...
Old January 17th 2006, 00:05

O.k. 98 octane. Wow! i wish we had that here. The Ja,aican government is looking into raising the octane level at the moment and we are doing test runs on ethanol mixed with gas to see how that runs.
Old January 17th 2006, 04:33

My friend tried that! And thing is working great. He put some 5 percent in a 98 octane fuel and got a great fuel to race.

Another possibility is buying of aero fuel which has 105 octane. It's even cheaper than 95 or 98 (in My country), because there's no high taxes for aeroplane fuel. Only thing is, I have to go there with barrels in a van, no way they would fill the car.

Lucky me, I guess
Old January 17th 2006, 20:14

MX67,

When you talked with Bob Thomlinson, did he say anything about their new EFI kit coming out in a few months? I'm told by a inside source that CB has a new EFI kit coming out real soon, but no exact time of release (this year though). As for Aero fuel, not a good idea. Aviation fuels are made for engines that run at low RPM, usally below 3000 RPM. They burn different than Auto fuel. My V8 buddies tried it years ago and did'nt make a difference, if anything their 1/4 mile times were slower, due to wrong compression ratio I guess.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old January 18th 2006, 05:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchnride247
MX67,

When you talked with Bob Thomlinson, did he say anything about their new EFI kit coming out in a few months? I'm told by a inside source that CB has a new EFI kit coming out real soon, but no exact time of release (this year though). As for Aero fuel, not a good idea. Aviation fuels are made for engines that run at low RPM, usally below 3000 RPM. They burn different than Auto fuel. My V8 buddies tried it years ago and did'nt make a difference, if anything their 1/4 mile times were slower, due to wrong compression ratio I guess.
No, he didn't said anything about new kit. But I can wait.

And about aerofuel, guys over here made better 1/4 mile times with it. My theory is that aero fuel (like anything else in aviation) is made with big security factor. Plain has to cope with low temperatures when the engine cilinder is filled with cold air. From that point, more octane makes detonation controling easier. What is happening when You put a turbo? More risk because there's more air to be mixed and burned with fuel. Same thing with plane in the air. Too much air enters, you have to burn it safe and without detonation. That's why they run 3000/rpm.
Maybe V8 guys missed ignition timing, because it need's to be changed rapidly for use with that fuel. My oppinion.

Any more oppinions on CB performance turbo injection hideaway kit? Thank's to people who helped by now
Old February 19th 2006, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad bug
I have a friend here in jamaica that has a cb kit on his car and he is total disappointed with it. Its not intelligent, doesn't have ignition control. Also if you are running 92mm piston and sleeves don't run high boost the 92's are thin and will crack and leak boost. Try lowering your compression to 7 or 7.5 to 1.

overall?

how's the header quality on it?

becoming more and more interested in forced induction...
Old February 19th 2006, 18:36

I am not sure as to the quality of the header but my friend had to remove one of the the throttle bodies and turn the kit into a single throttle body setup, he was having problems with tunning.